Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Think the C240 is for you?
By uxtonyxu

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After six years of strickly driving sports cars, I decided to buy the Mercedes-Benz C240. It's not a sports car, but it;'s the only alternative I would recommend to one. Do not buy one without the warranty. Upon purchase, the the transmission went with in 100 miles. Thanks to the warranty I recieved a new one free of charge. Other than that I am 110% satisfied.

Space and fuel economy. The 6 speed is great too.

More wiper ranges, not just very fast or very slow.

Fun to drive, when not in the shop
By TimL

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I preordered the car in Dec. 2000. The car is wonderful to drive. It's comfortable, fast, and sporty enough to whip through the corners. Yes, the car could use some more power for my tastes, but it has plenty for normal use. The car gets good gas mileage considering engine size/weight. Main problem is quality. The car is being fixed every 2-3 months. Engine, transmission, electronics, brakes, AC, radio, CD changer, paint flaking off and lights. The dealer has been very receptive and everything has been fixed for free, but I am tired of the problems. My warranty is running out and I think I am going to sell it. If you are looking to buy a used MB avoid this model like the plague.

Comfortable car and with just enough sporty-ness to make driving it fun. But all of this is not worth the trouble. The car frequently gets 27/28 mpg on the highway. With some good snow tires, the car is great in winter weather.

QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY! I don't think I will ever buy another MB again. I wanted to eventually upgrade to the E-Class AMG, but now am looking at the BMW M-5. I am repulsed by the problems I've had with the car.

You'll never want to get out of this car
By MBbrat

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

There is a reason that Mercedes-Benz has a reputation for being one of the most luxurious and prestigious cars built today. Even the C-class boasts so many features, you won't believe it's the lowest class they manufacture. I never mind being stuck in traffic anymore when I'm in my C240. It just becomes a part of you-- an extension of your own body! The performance is outstanding, and you won't feel safer in any other car.

You name it: Rear window sunshade, rain sensor, speed sensitive volume on Bose soundsystem, built-in ski sack, very powerful V6 engine... I LOVE that you never have to take your hands off the wheel for anything!

I really can't think of one thing they could have improved upon in the C240. For the money, you can't go wrong. It really is worth every penny!

Lets see what happens after 100K miles
By Robert Yokley

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I like the car. However, I had to return it to the dealership 7=8 times for various problems (primarily electrical in nature). To the dealerships credit, they addressed all the problems promptly and efficiently. I must reserve final judgment on this car after attaining >100K miles.

Smooth, powerful engine and handling.

The digital read-out is too difficult to see in bright light. Bring back analog instrumentation including an oil pressure gauge. Simplify AC/heater controls. Eliminate brake dust from collecting on the front wheels.

So far so excellent
By Yu_turn

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 27k miles, I haven't had any problems. The C320 has lots of power when you need it and drives very smoothly. I got the sport package and the car handles very well around the turns.

Excellent performance and handling, the auto/manual shift, Bose sound system, the pop up truck on the key chain and the memory seat/mirror settings.

My only issues with the car are 1) The rear side mirrors are too small. 2) The A/C is a bit complex. 3) Clear lens headlights would be nice.