Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Addictive Lemon
By boomchek

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I look forward to the drive everytime I get behind the wheel and step on the gas, as it has power, handling, and style. What I hate is the reliability. I had more problems with this one car than with my 10 previous cars combined, including a 20 year old $300 Accord. I still love it but it's easy to go bankrupt fixing this car. Problems: power steering pump broke, cam and crank sensors ($1k repair), dual zone climate not dual anymore, vent solenoid making noises, alternator replaced, numerous light bulb failures, other minor electrical gremlins that I stopped bothering with. Do not buy this car unless you have FULL warranty or money to fix it. Otherwise great driver's car.

Power, speed, handling, the Mercedes feel.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Mercedes Benz needs to get their act together and make more reliable products.

Still love it!
By Edvard Petrovskiy

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my C320! It still a head- turner, looks/drives great. It does break a lot (same problems that other MB owners have). Hey, what do you expect from an expensive car? If you buy this car with out warranty, expect to pay about $1000 annually in repair bills. My mechanic does the repairs, I never take it to dealer, except free car washes(You can do an oil change anywhere.) It's a great car!

Very comfortable seats; navigation; power, soft suspension (yet sporty enough); power shade is OK - never use it; speed sensitive stereo volume; all other electronic gadgets (the ones that always break); cargo capacity; superiority over a BMW 3-series; design/style; the power of a 3.2L V6

I guess my car being that old (first model year) all of the improvements have been made allready, they even have a next generation model:-) but I still like mine better!

nomorembc
By nomorembc

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I ordered the C240 months before the Dec 2000 delivery. During the first 2 years, the car had all kinds of minor problems that kept me returning to the dealership around twice a month. The rear light bulbs were out every week, the speakers were replaced twice, AC, windows. Between 20k to 65k, the car was a joy to drive, and was pretty much problem free. From 65k on, the AC was a problem, the check engine light, the coolant light, the digital dash, the battery, the noise from the steering. I had spend over $5k fixing items outside of 'normal maintance', and the car just keep coming up with new problems. This is the most unreliable foreign car I have ever own.

Nice paint, nice design, good gas mileage.

MB should test their cars prior to massive production of inferior vehicles.

High Standards
By jdash

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Car has luxury look and feel, even after 6 years. Runs smooth, tracks well, and remains quiet and comfortable. Great car with lots of class!

Smooth, quiet ride.

Mercedes Benz C240 (6M)
By asimesen

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The only reason I bought this car was it came with a 6-speed manual transmission, the only MB sold with a manual in the USA in 2002,and it was the smallest MB to fit a family of 4-5. The car has excellent ride for it size and fun to drive with 6-speed manual. It has more power than I need with a small V-6. I must say built quality is poor, especially when it comes to electrical components. We had all kinds of problems with those dummy keys, they had to change several times; one time the trunk would not open for weeks until the dealer ordered parts and fixed it; and now the radio is not working properly. If I have to buy another car of this size again, it will be a BMW 3 series.

Comfortable ride, smooth manual transmission, good gas mileage, and exterior styling.

For God's sake, make it simple and build a quality car like Toyota does. The owner's manual is an encyclopedia, close to 400 pages. Digital controls are a maze. I have to spend 30 minutes to figure out how to set the clock, which used to take 10 seconds in my old Mercedes 300D.

• SUV