2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
So much hope
By Already re-sold it on 03/21/06 06:29 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Loved driving the car, great handling! Made me look forward to the drive to/from work. Fun on the weekends too! However, having an alternator go out at 52,000 miles is ridiculous. We bought this car used, 44,000 miles, in May of 2005. After the alternator was fixed at the dealer yesterday afternoon, drove the car straight to be sold. We felt like this car was ready to become a money pit. We had MANY bulb failures, and a "thumping" that the dealer couldn't ever figure out nor fix. We had researched the Lexus and intended to buy one, but, found this car on the lot and fell in love. Reliability is very important to us, and we (I) made the wrong decision.

Fun Car but be careful!
By Mike on 10/07/05 13:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for a year and a half now and have had to take to the dealership about 15 times for various quirks. Not that the car has really alot of problems just the dealerships have crappy mechanics so far. They break stuff and the service managers are scripted on what to say it gets annoying. MBUSA doesn't care either about the problems as they are all independantly owned. Not what I would expect from a supposedly classy luxury car. As long as the car has no problems you are ok but the dealerships are terrible. The new models dont even have the free service deal anymore which is sad for what you pay for the vehicle. Better cars out there for the money but I dont feel as safe in them

Excellent car to buy
By haris on 08/07/05 13:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle 1 1/2 years ago and I am loving it. I got a great deal on it and so far didn't have to put any money into it except maintnence/oil changes

Very Disappointed
By P&M on 06/06/05 17:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

In the four years we have owned this vehicle reliability has been a major concern. Blinker bulbs have been replaced 4-5 times. The power seat became inoperative. We've had Intermittent problems with sun roof and back window shade opening and closing properly. Power steering fluid leaked from the car. Air conditioning system failed to cool after 3.5 years, and the dealer originally could not find leak. Six months later, the same problem arose, the leak was found, and the repair cost $1800. Alternator recently failed while driving at highway speeds, the car stalled, almost causing a major traffic accident. Cost to repair $1000. The gas pedal is non-responsive when starting off from zero miles per hour.

Great Car! So Luxurious!
By Nat on 03/15/05 21:08 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my car! It has almost 70,000 miles and is still in amazing condition. The car is so fast and the interior is so luxurious. The engine is powerful and the car is fully loaded well beyond other cars in its class

Think the C240 is for you?
By uxtonyxu on 12/26/04 18:59 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After six years of strickly driving sports cars, I decided to buy the Mercedes-Benz C240. It's not a sports car, but it;'s the only alternative I would recommend to one. Do not buy one without the warranty. Upon purchase, the the transmission went with in 100 miles. Thanks to the warranty I recieved a new one free of charge. Other than that I am 110% satisfied.

Fun to drive, when not in the shop
By TimL on 11/11/04 15:33 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I preordered the car in Dec. 2000. The car is wonderful to drive. It's comfortable, fast, and sporty enough to whip through the corners. Yes, the car could use some more power for my tastes, but it has plenty for normal use. The car gets good gas mileage considering engine size/weight. Main problem is quality. The car is being fixed every 2-3 months. Engine, transmission, electronics, brakes, AC, radio, CD changer, paint flaking off and lights. The dealer has been very receptive and everything has been fixed for free, but I am tired of the problems. My warranty is running out and I think I am going to sell it. If you are looking to buy a used MB avoid this model like the plague.

You'll never want to get out of this car
By MBbrat on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

There is a reason that Mercedes-Benz has a reputation for being one of the most luxurious and prestigious cars built today. Even the C-class boasts so many features, you won't believe it's the lowest class they manufacture. I never mind being stuck in traffic anymore when I'm in my C240. It just becomes a part of you-- an extension of your own body! The performance is outstanding, and you won't feel safer in any other car.

Lets see what happens after 100K miles
By Robert Yokley on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I like the car. However, I had to return it to the dealership 7=8 times for various problems (primarily electrical in nature). To the dealerships credit, they addressed all the problems promptly and efficiently. I must reserve final judgment on this car after attaining >100K miles.

So far so excellent
By Yu_turn on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 27k miles, I haven't had any problems. The C320 has lots of power when you need it and drives very smoothly. I got the sport package and the car handles very well around the turns.