Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Over-engineered cars are not reliable
By Mike

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The 2001 C240 is a solid ride. Looks good,is safe,but not dependable! I am at the delearship every other month. Everyone there knows me by name. Where do I begin? Locking problems with the keys, then locking problems with the cpu. The leather de-laminated from both doors. fuel pump had to be replaced at 42000 miles. rear brake lights not working,defective SAM card. Front directional not working, defective SAM card. finally car will not start when engine is warm, the timing chain-cam sensor is defective! Most repairs were not under warranty, and averaged 800 dollars per event.

Paint quality excellent. Safety excellent. Ergonomics are good.

Speedometeter, tach is hokey looking. It should be round and more sporty. The stock 16 inch rims should be 17 inch.

One of the best cars I have ever owned!
By Elian

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this Benz for 150,000 miles so far and I am extremely impressed by its reliability and quality. We shipped this car to Lebanon where the roads are horrible! Ever since then we have had only routine maintenance and an air conditioner replacement. Otherwise this car is the most reliable car in our garage it has never died on us, never overheated, it never does anything its not supposed to do! The traction in the wet is not the best, but the handling in dry conditions is wonderful and responsive. Its that solid German enginering that is outstanding. The feeling of driving a solid well made car makes me hate driving most domestic cars. This car is a great investment!

Handling, design, reliability! The rear sun shade, automatic lights, automatic windshield wipers, solid construction!

More rear leg room! Higher quality door moldings, more front hip room.

Stable and reliable
By bunny

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Mercedes because my first one was totaled in an accident where someone traveling at over 65MPH hit me from behind. I walked out with 2 scratches, so I had to buy another Mercedes. It's been an extremely safe car, and it auto-corrects in slippery roads. I've had the car for 7.5 years, and it's been a very reliable, safe car to drive.

Addictive Lemon
By boomchek

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I look forward to the drive everytime I get behind the wheel and step on the gas, as it has power, handling, and style. What I hate is the reliability. I had more problems with this one car than with my 10 previous cars combined, including a 20 year old $300 Accord. I still love it but it's easy to go bankrupt fixing this car. Problems: power steering pump broke, cam and crank sensors ($1k repair), dual zone climate not dual anymore, vent solenoid making noises, alternator replaced, numerous light bulb failures, other minor electrical gremlins that I stopped bothering with. Do not buy this car unless you have FULL warranty or money to fix it. Otherwise great driver's car.

Power, speed, handling, the Mercedes feel.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Mercedes Benz needs to get their act together and make more reliable products.

Still love it!
By Edvard Petrovskiy

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my C320! It still a head- turner, looks/drives great. It does break a lot (same problems that other MB owners have). Hey, what do you expect from an expensive car? If you buy this car with out warranty, expect to pay about $1000 annually in repair bills. My mechanic does the repairs, I never take it to dealer, except free car washes(You can do an oil change anywhere.) It's a great car!

Very comfortable seats; navigation; power, soft suspension (yet sporty enough); power shade is OK - never use it; speed sensitive stereo volume; all other electronic gadgets (the ones that always break); cargo capacity; superiority over a BMW 3-series; design/style; the power of a 3.2L V6

I guess my car being that old (first model year) all of the improvements have been made allready, they even have a next generation model:-) but I still like mine better!