2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Over-engineered cars are not reliable
By Mike on 09/29/08 14:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The 2001 C240 is a solid ride. Looks good,is safe,but not dependable! I am at the delearship every other month. Everyone there knows me by name. Where do I begin? Locking problems with the keys, then locking problems with the cpu. The leather de-laminated from both doors. fuel pump had to be replaced at 42000 miles. rear brake lights not working,defective SAM card. Front directional not working, defective SAM card. finally car will not start when engine is warm, the timing chain-cam sensor is defective! Most repairs were not under warranty, and averaged 800 dollars per event.

One of the best cars I have ever owned!
By Elian on 08/23/08 01:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this Benz for 150,000 miles so far and I am extremely impressed by its reliability and quality. We shipped this car to Lebanon where the roads are horrible! Ever since then we have had only routine maintenance and an air conditioner replacement. Otherwise this car is the most reliable car in our garage it has never died on us, never overheated, it never does anything its not supposed to do! The traction in the wet is not the best, but the handling in dry conditions is wonderful and responsive. Its that solid German enginering that is outstanding. The feeling of driving a solid well made car makes me hate driving most domestic cars. This car is a great investment!

Stable and reliable
By bunny on 08/07/08 11:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Mercedes because my first one was totaled in an accident where someone traveling at over 65MPH hit me from behind. I walked out with 2 scratches, so I had to buy another Mercedes. It's been an extremely safe car, and it auto-corrects in slippery roads. I've had the car for 7.5 years, and it's been a very reliable, safe car to drive.

Addictive Lemon
By boomchek on 06/24/08 12:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I look forward to the drive everytime I get behind the wheel and step on the gas, as it has power, handling, and style. What I hate is the reliability. I had more problems with this one car than with my 10 previous cars combined, including a 20 year old $300 Accord. I still love it but it's easy to go bankrupt fixing this car. Problems: power steering pump broke, cam and crank sensors ($1k repair), dual zone climate not dual anymore, vent solenoid making noises, alternator replaced, numerous light bulb failures, other minor electrical gremlins that I stopped bothering with. Do not buy this car unless you have FULL warranty or money to fix it. Otherwise great driver's car.

Still love it!
By Edvard Petrovskiy on 05/09/08 07:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my C320! It still a head- turner, looks/drives great. It does break a lot (same problems that other MB owners have). Hey, what do you expect from an expensive car? If you buy this car with out warranty, expect to pay about $1000 annually in repair bills. My mechanic does the repairs, I never take it to dealer, except free car washes(You can do an oil change anywhere.) It's a great car!

nomorembc
By nomorembc on 03/30/08 02:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I ordered the C240 months before the Dec 2000 delivery. During the first 2 years, the car had all kinds of minor problems that kept me returning to the dealership around twice a month. The rear light bulbs were out every week, the speakers were replaced twice, AC, windows. Between 20k to 65k, the car was a joy to drive, and was pretty much problem free. From 65k on, the AC was a problem, the check engine light, the coolant light, the digital dash, the battery, the noise from the steering. I had spend over $5k fixing items outside of 'normal maintance', and the car just keep coming up with new problems. This is the most unreliable foreign car I have ever own.

High Standards
By jdash on 12/02/07 05:40 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Car has luxury look and feel, even after 6 years. Runs smooth, tracks well, and remains quiet and comfortable. Great car with lots of class!

Mercedes Benz C240 (6M)
By asimesen on 07/18/07 14:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The only reason I bought this car was it came with a 6-speed manual transmission, the only MB sold with a manual in the USA in 2002,and it was the smallest MB to fit a family of 4-5. The car has excellent ride for it size and fun to drive with 6-speed manual. It has more power than I need with a small V-6. I must say built quality is poor, especially when it comes to electrical components. We had all kinds of problems with those dummy keys, they had to change several times; one time the trunk would not open for weeks until the dealer ordered parts and fixed it; and now the radio is not working properly. If I have to buy another car of this size again, it will be a BMW 3 series.

Excellent road car, poor reliabilty
By Sam Julier on 01/17/07 07:15 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Car driven all highway miles. Excellent engine and drive train. Quiet interior, low wind noise. 32 mpg w/ 6spd. Solid handling and tracking, supurb braking. Very high frequency of maintenance and expense compared to previously owed Volvos. Parking brake failed 3x, climate control 2x (and never the same as new), teleaid 1x, CD player 2x, both rear coils cracked 1x, strut bushing replaced 3x, fuel line clogged 1x, keys 1x, turn signal harness 1x, light harness 1x, oil level sensor 1x, ignition Lock and Steering Lock 1x, ELT connector 1x. The amount of service necessitated selling the car. It is a huge dissapointment as the car is a joy to drive.

A lemon with a good engine
By sonet on 11/29/06 10:18 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car was good when it was new. Then everything started to good bad. Audio system went bad several times. Transmission went bad. Sun roof malfunctions. Paint faded badly. Side moulding turns from black to tan. ESS went bad. Brakes vibrate a lot. The dealer was not able to fix this yet for the past 4 years. Gas mileage is way less than what was advertised. Lots of noise on bumpy roads. Engine is loud. Speaker went bad several times. Heating is slow. Vent solenoid went bad several times costing almost $1000 for each visit. CD Changer went bad twice. Turn signal bulb blows out too frequently. Cup holder gets stuck. More room is needed. Electronic diagnosis need to be more accurate. Cost me money.