Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Frequent Expensive Repairs
By sisaacs

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This model car has numerous problems. My 55 yr old wife drives this car gently. Yet, after 90K miles, I have replaced: braking computer, rear brakes 3x, front brakes 6x, alternator, numerous sensors, spark plugs and wires 2x, MAF 2x, EGR Valve 2x, EGR tube, fuel pump, motor mounts 2x, rear coil springs, numerous bulbs, window regulators 3x, front speakers, door handle, battery 2x, wheel, keys 2x, front control arm, steering assembly, gas cap, and sway bar links. Yet to repair: fading LCD instrument display, pass seat heater, front shocks, cracked cigarette tray cover, shifter (base pulled away from console), steering wheel, valve cover gaskets, clicking noise in drive shaft, trunk handle.

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive, is quiet when the motor mounts and brakes and window regulators are in working order, and does average 34 mpg. Because of all of the repairs and the time the car spent in the repair shops (not just the dealer), we have become friends with many mechanics.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system needs redesign; the instrument panel needs a digital display screen which either lasts or which does not cost $1200 to repair; the brakes need to be redesigned as the car does not stop well on wet roads and the brakes do not last; the shocks and springs need redesign for longevity and ease of repair; the engine and transmission mounts need redesign so they don't keep wearing out; the plastic parts need improvement so the plastic does not become brittle and break; the carbon clogging of the EGR system needs redesign; the cell phone configuration needs to be changed to allow blue tooth functionality; and the defroster needs redesign for passenger comfort and ease of use.

Computer replacement
By BW

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had to replace the main computer board in their c320? Took my car in to carmax after the coolant light came on. First they said it was the fan and replaced it. I was told the tech broke off the sensor and now all I know is this simple repair has ballooned into a nightmare.

2001 C320 Sport sedan
By DG

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for 5 years. I bought it used at a BMW dealer in St. Louis, MO. I have enjoyed this car and would consider buying another in the future. It has a solid feel that I have never matched with any other car. I have the Sport package. It handles superbly. I have kept a warranty the whole 5 years. I'm glad I did. It has needed some repairs. The Japanese brands don't quite come up to the ride standard of this car. If you drive one, you will want one.

Favorite Features

Blue tinted glass, Zenon lights, Premium leather interior, Zenon headlights, Sport seats, Bose sound system, rear sun-shade, Remote access to windows & sunroof from keyfob

Suggested Improvements

More room in the backseat.

Does not meet expectations
By Lucky1

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

About 3 months ago I picked up my first MB: a 2001 C320, one owner, 51,000 miles, garage-kept, and appeared well cared for. I am GREATLY disappointed in the paint. The paint easily chips, exposes the metal below and begins to "spider" out with blistering rust underneath the surrounding paint. If left unchecked, the car will be a mess in less than a year. It reminds me of the '72 AMC Gremlin my father purchased for less than $2k. The paint job was horrible and did not last a year! Never in my wildest dreams did I think that paint would be a problem with this car. I have stuck to American cars until this one and I am sorry I did not purchase another Cadillac or a Buick. I miss my Cadillac!

Favorite Features

Handling, seems solid, accelerates well, good ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

Paint, Paint, Paint. Mercedes Benz, THIS IS A NO-BRAINER!!!! The shoddiest automakers have paints that are durable!

Form over Function
By Matt in Maryland

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used from a dealership and quickly realized that I would encounter numerous issues with it. It looks great inside and out but it stops there.I have had so many repairs from the dealer they know which loaner car I like best and I have developed a friendship with one of the CSR's at the dealer. At one point they have my car for over 4 weeks trying to determine an issue and even brought Mb Germany into the mix. I didn't expect a MB to have so many issues...broken climate control unit,steering column,cd player,digital dash display and more.The paint chips and has faded in numerous places and the door seals have dry-rotted making for a very loud ride on the road.Poor form MB!

Favorite Features

exterior styling, window shades, sound system (if CD player worked)

Suggested Improvements

anything electrical, paint quality, all working parts need to be improved upon.