Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great Car ... For the price paid
By Michael

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

An extremely fun, forgiving car. Definitely enjoy taking this car on back-roads using the tip-tronic transmission. as expected a lot of maintenance involved in owning a Mercedes.

Love-Hate this car
By Tim Z

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car in 2008 with 50k miles on it for $11,000. I traded in my 1998 Cadillac deVille for what I called my "German Experiment". The 2001 C320 has some very nice features. It handles well on the highway and the engine is bullet-proof. There are so many little things that have gone wrong. The power seat controls, the air damper that controls the vent/floor air, the rear window shade, a $900 gas pump, the 6-CD player, and more. The single-most bothersome problem is the paint. Soon after I purchased the car I noticed very small rust bubbles on the door panels and front and rear fenders. Over time they have grown to be large rust spots -the size of silver dollars and larger. What a disappointment! These are certainly not the Mercedes Benz of the 1970's and 80's. I recently went back to a Cadillac and will probably never purchase a Mercedes again. This German Experiment has failed.

Frequent Expensive Repairs
By sisaacs

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This model car has numerous problems.
My 55 yr old wife drives this car gently. Yet, after 90K miles, I have replaced: braking computer, rear brakes 3x, front brakes 6x, alternator, numerous sensors, spark plugs and wires 2x, MAF 2x, EGR Valve 2x, EGR tube, fuel pump, motor mounts 2x, rear coil springs, numerous bulbs, window regulators 3x, front speakers, door handle, battery 2x, wheel, keys 2x, front control arm, steering assembly, gas cap, and sway bar links.

Yet to repair: fading LCD instrument display, pass seat heater, front shocks, cracked cigarette tray cover, shifter (base pulled away from console), steering wheel, valve cover gaskets, clicking noise in drive shaft, trunk handle.

The car is fun to drive, is quiet when the motor mounts and brakes and window regulators are in working order, and does average 34 mpg. Because of all of the repairs and the time the car spent in the repair shops (not just the dealer), we have become friends with many mechanics.

The electrical system needs redesign; the instrument panel needs a digital display screen which either lasts or which does not cost $1200 to repair; the brakes need to be redesigned as the car does not stop well on wet roads and the brakes do not last; the shocks and springs need redesign for longevity and ease of repair; the engine and transmission mounts need redesign so they don't keep wearing out; the plastic parts need improvement so the plastic does not become brittle and break; the carbon clogging of the EGR system needs redesign; the cell phone configuration needs to be changed to allow blue tooth functionality; and the defroster needs redesign for passenger comfort and ease of use.

Computer replacement
By BW

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had to replace the main computer board in their c320? Took my car in to carmax after the coolant light came on. First they said it was the fan and replaced it. I was told the tech broke off the sensor and now all I know is this simple repair has ballooned into a nightmare.

2001 C320 Sport sedan
By DG

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for 5 years. I bought it used at a BMW dealer in St. Louis, MO. I have enjoyed this car and would consider buying another in the future. It has a solid feel that I have never matched with any other car. I have the Sport package. It handles superbly. I have kept a warranty the whole 5 years. I'm glad I did. It has needed some repairs. The Japanese brands don't quite come up to the ride standard of this car. If you drive one, you will want one.

Blue tinted glass, Zenon lights, Premium leather interior, Zenon headlights, Sport seats, Bose sound system, rear sun-shade, Remote access to windows & sunroof from keyfob

More room in the backseat.