Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Worst Car EVER
By bellecarlove

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with only one previous owner with only 57k miles cash for 7k. Worst mistake ever. As soon as I got the car things started breaking down, transmission, electrical etc. If you are looking for a luxury vehicle STAY AWAY!

WORST PURCHASE EVER
By GAdiva2k

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The car LOOKS great on the inside & outside, but other than that it's the worst purchase ever. I've never had so many issues from a car than this one. This was my first & last MB purchase. The issues I've had: taillights constantly go out, seats don't move anymore, ac/heather no longer work, belts broke, catalytic converter, the list goes on.

Favorite Features

It looks nice inside & out.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the cost of repairs as if you have an issue, be prepared to spend some serious money.

With the good, comes the bad
By str1972

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my C240 used thinking Mercedes had a good reputation for cars that would last. Found out the hard way, maybe it used to be like that, but not these days. It was a comfortable car, good build quality, good materials, but too many problems. In the yr that I had it: $350 for the CD changer, $300 for the auto climate control control unit, $350 for a MAS air flow unit, $60 for a new MAP sensor, $850 for a windshield for the auto intermittent wipers, $200 for a lower strut, $100 for sway bar end links, $1400 for new struts, $700 for rotors and pads. Paint chips easily, rear package tray fades, dash display fades out in the summer heat. I got rid of it before something else happened.

Favorite Features

Smooth quiet ride, good power.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability.

Over-engineered cars are not reliable
By Mike

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The 2001 C240 is a solid ride. Looks good,is safe,but not dependable! I am at the delearship every other month. Everyone there knows me by name. Where do I begin? Locking problems with the keys, then locking problems with the cpu. The leather de-laminated from both doors. fuel pump had to be replaced at 42000 miles. rear brake lights not working,defective SAM card. Front directional not working, defective SAM card. finally car will not start when engine is warm, the timing chain-cam sensor is defective! Most repairs were not under warranty, and averaged 800 dollars per event.

Favorite Features

Paint quality excellent. Safety excellent. Ergonomics are good.

Suggested Improvements

Speedometeter, tach is hokey looking. It should be round and more sporty. The stock 16 inch rims should be 17 inch.

One of the best cars I have ever owned!
By Elian

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this Benz for 150,000 miles so far and I am extremely impressed by its reliability and quality. We shipped this car to Lebanon where the roads are horrible! Ever since then we have had only routine maintenance and an air conditioner replacement. Otherwise this car is the most reliable car in our garage it has never died on us, never overheated, it never does anything its not supposed to do! The traction in the wet is not the best, but the handling in dry conditions is wonderful and responsive. Its that solid German enginering that is outstanding. The feeling of driving a solid well made car makes me hate driving most domestic cars. This car is a great investment!

Favorite Features

Handling, design, reliability! The rear sun shade, automatic lights, automatic windshield wipers, solid construction!

Suggested Improvements

More rear leg room! Higher quality door moldings, more front hip room.