2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Worst Car EVER
By bellecarlove on 03/19/13 14:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with only one previous owner with only 57k miles cash for 7k. Worst mistake ever. As soon as I got the car things started breaking down, transmission, electrical etc. If you are looking for a luxury vehicle STAY AWAY!

Frequent Expensive Repairs
By sisaacs on 12/08/11 22:13 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This model car has numerous problems. My 55 yr old wife drives this car gently. Yet, after 90K miles, I have replaced: braking computer, rear brakes 3x, front brakes 6x, alternator, numerous sensors, spark plugs and wires 2x, MAF 2x, EGR Valve 2x, EGR tube, fuel pump, motor mounts 2x, rear coil springs, numerous bulbs, window regulators 3x, front speakers, door handle, battery 2x, wheel, keys 2x, front control arm, steering assembly, gas cap, and sway bar links. Yet to repair: fading LCD instrument display, pass seat heater, front shocks, cracked cigarette tray cover, shifter (base pulled away from console), steering wheel, valve cover gaskets, clicking noise in drive shaft, trunk handle.

Computer replacement
By BW on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had to replace the main computer board in their c320? Took my car in to carmax after the coolant light came on. First they said it was the fan and replaced it. I was told the tech broke off the sensor and now all I know is this simple repair has ballooned into a nightmare.

2001 C320 Sport sedan
By DG on 04/08/10 17:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for 5 years. I bought it used at a BMW dealer in St. Louis, MO. I have enjoyed this car and would consider buying another in the future. It has a solid feel that I have never matched with any other car. I have the Sport package. It handles superbly. I have kept a warranty the whole 5 years. I'm glad I did. It has needed some repairs. The Japanese brands don't quite come up to the ride standard of this car. If you drive one, you will want one.

Does not meet expectations
By Lucky1 on 01/18/10 09:16 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

About 3 months ago I picked up my first MB: a 2001 C320, one owner, 51,000 miles, garage-kept, and appeared well cared for. I am GREATLY disappointed in the paint. The paint easily chips, exposes the metal below and begins to "spider" out with blistering rust underneath the surrounding paint. If left unchecked, the car will be a mess in less than a year. It reminds me of the '72 AMC Gremlin my father purchased for less than $2k. The paint job was horrible and did not last a year! Never in my wildest dreams did I think that paint would be a problem with this car. I have stuck to American cars until this one and I am sorry I did not purchase another Cadillac or a Buick. I miss my Cadillac!

WORST PURCHASE EVER
By GAdiva2k on 10/18/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The car LOOKS great on the inside & outside, but other than that it's the worst purchase ever. I've never had so many issues from a car than this one. This was my first & last MB purchase. The issues I've had: taillights constantly go out, seats don't move anymore, ac/heather no longer work, belts broke, catalytic converter, the list goes on.

Form over Function
By Matt in Maryland on 09/30/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used from a dealership and quickly realized that I would encounter numerous issues with it. It looks great inside and out but it stops there.I have had so many repairs from the dealer they know which loaner car I like best and I have developed a friendship with one of the CSR's at the dealer. At one point they have my car for over 4 weeks trying to determine an issue and even brought Mb Germany into the mix. I didn't expect a MB to have so many issues...broken climate control unit,steering column,cd player,digital dash display and more.The paint chips and has faded in numerous places and the door seals have dry-rotted making for a very loud ride on the road.Poor form MB!

This Car Is So Awsome
By Chris on 04/15/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 2 years, ( The Lorinser) and this car has never given me any problems so far. It cruise's so "Great" It's a Great Ride Every Time you Get In It. When you put your foot on the peddle,It Has a Awesome Holdshot, Takes off like a plane. Cannot hear the engine very quiet, the Cd changer for (6) The sound is so nice to hear w/Bose speakers, No Mechanical, Engine, Navigation problems, No Leaks, Paint looks Great I added the AMG Package, Crome Wheels,and Grill. This Car looks and I believe If you take car of your car. It will last for a very long time. If you Keep the car checked and up to date you will not have any problems. This car I rate it at a 10X's 10.MB is the best

With the good, comes the bad
By str1972 on 04/01/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my C240 used thinking Mercedes had a good reputation for cars that would last. Found out the hard way, maybe it used to be like that, but not these days. It was a comfortable car, good build quality, good materials, but too many problems. In the yr that I had it: $350 for the CD changer, $300 for the auto climate control control unit, $350 for a MAS air flow unit, $60 for a new MAP sensor, $850 for a windshield for the auto intermittent wipers, $200 for a lower strut, $100 for sway bar end links, $1400 for new struts, $700 for rotors and pads. Paint chips easily, rear package tray fades, dash display fades out in the summer heat. I got rid of it before something else happened.

Stay away
By Mercedes no more on 12/30/08 21:51 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I always wanted a Mercedes and purchased a C320 2 yrs ago. It has been at the MB dealer 4 times. I have had the starter sensor replaced, alternator replaced and codes reset many times. I live 75 miles from the dealer and it costs $225 each time it has to be towed. Now I am looking at a $2700 transmission repair due to transmission fluid leaking on computer componants inside the transmission. Too bad since the car is a eye catcher, super fast and receives many compliments. I will be trading it in on a Toyota/Honda/Nissan as soon as I get it back on the road.