Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Perfect mix of luxury and sportiness
By Polestar

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

The '99 C280 Sport is an excellent mix of luxury and sportiness. Recent reviews of MB's have opined poor quality. However, in '99 MB built the C280 like it built Mercedes of old: rock solid. This car is an absolute joy to drive. The suspension is like no other car I've owned. The Sport version has a firmer suspension than the standard model. However, it remains a very subtle ride and sticks in corners adding fun. The V-6 engine takes premium fuel and I'm getting between 22MPG to 26MPG in mixed driving. The quality of the car is excellent. It looks new even though it is six years old.

Favorite Features

Engine, suspension, quality, Bose sound, leather sport seats, paint quality.

Suggested Improvements

Only wish I had the option to open rear seating area to trunk.

A Must Have
By Mercedes Man

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

This car is definitely a must buy if you don't already have one. Acceleration is exceptional and handling is sharp and very responsive. I took a road trip to Utah last summer and let me tell you, the car felt great at high speed. Overall, the Mercedes-Benz C280 is definaitely worth the money.

Favorite Features

V6 engine, suspension dampening, minimal body roll, powerful brakes, minimal wind noise, nicely weighted steering, grip, and multicontour seats are amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Low speed transmission glitch

Fun to drive
By E, B. Mitchell

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I love my C280. It handles like a dream, small turning radius, lots of power, not too big, not too small. Have had some electrical problems ( replaced starter, alternator, fuel guage after 50K mi). I will probably buy another small MBZ or the new BMW 330I

Favorite Features

Handling and power

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the electrical problems

Far from Fahrvergnügen
By gebrochen

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 2 years ago. In the time I have had it, I have had to replace the windshield wiper motor 3 times. I have had to replace the planetary sun gear. The sensor on the braking system failed and resulted in above average repair cost. The BAS/ASR system failed. The cost of this car has outweighed any pleasure that the turbo, design and features could have offered. It has put me off German cars altogether. I'm going back to Japanese!

Favorite Features

It's pretty!

Suggested Improvements

Share schematics with other automotive manufacturers so that one is not held ransom to pay the extraordinarily high cost of genuine MB parts.

I Love My Baby!
By Christine

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I have put 25,000 miles on my car in less than a year and have not had one problem. It has been on a 2,000 mile round trip to Key West effortlessly. I have taken it to the Mountains , had my camping gear in the trunk. This car has seen it all. This is my 4th Mercedes and I have nothing but praise for the 3 point star. Solid as a Rock.

Favorite Features

Solid Ride, Quality, Car will turn on a dime, Beautiful Car!

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier cup holder, but I do like the way you can tuck it away out of sight when not in use.