Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Best Car I've ever owned!
By Eileen Broader

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

You should check the service records on CarMax for sure. If it's been well loved, this car will last you forever. It's comfortable and you can be really confident driving it for view ability, NO blind spots, great instrumentation including cruise and wipers. Ours has 104,000 miles since '99 which is unbelievable. We had it repainted the same as the orig color (silver), had a new headliner put in, and had a leaky valve fixed. Our ignition system did fail at 103,000 mi after we replaced our key! Be sure not to buy a new key without them testing the ignition switch first :) Lesson learned by all of us. I would recommend this car to all families, older drivers and all in between. BOSE sound system is amazing!! Love this thing!

c 280
By MB MAN

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Overall great car, very fast luxurious to the max, my 280 has 90 thousand miles and still runs like the first day, never has broke down, just regular services.

there's a couple favorite feature, i love the leather, the carbon fiber, the classy look and the performance.

i wish mine had a cd player, only has cassette but very nice Bose sound.

Good Car
By Bill

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Not looking for MB, but wife convinced me to test one. I was hooked! Drove and handled nicely, quiet, and plenty of power with decent mileage (24-25 mpg). Would have liked better acceleration and responsiveness when I push the peddle down, but still good for a V-6 and relatively heavy car. I have about 150,000 miles on it and it still runs and handles great. I have not put much money into repairs other than basic stuff. Harmonic balancer went bad, but MB fixed it under a recall (no cost to me). Complaints are wiper motor going bad, interior wearing out, LCD display/dash lights going out, and the body is beginning to rust around the wheel wells and sun roof. I would by a MB again!

Handling, nice ride, low road noise, power, and mileage. Stereo is great! Interior styling and layout. Looks great when clean and waxed. Ease of light bulb replacement and simple repairs - MB makes there cars easy to fix - just expensive to do.

Better acceleration and responsiveness when the peddle is pushed down. LCD/lights on dash should last longer than mine did and windshield wiper motor should last longer - simple technology should not fail. Very disappointed in the body rust - would keep car longer if no rust because it runs good.

10 years of happy ownership
By bickar

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 5000 miles on it in December of 1999. Over the years, have had to repair various things, and spent a little more to do so than I had on my Hondas, but, not an outrageous amount. And, I cannot tell you the last time I had to do anything other than normal maint. (NOT at a MB dealer - use an independent!) The gas mileage is outstanding - nearly 30 mpg on the highway, 25 around town. Car feels solid still, and the trunk is very large and shaped well - much more usable than our current other car - Jaguar XJ. We use it now for any dirty jobs we have, as it is getting old, yet, the paint job is MUCH better than the Jag we have - seriously MUCH MUCH better.

All 4 windows one touch UP and DOWN, and 10 presets for the radio.

Cup holders do not hold anything besides a 12 oz can of soda!

My C280
By Benzmeister

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car certified pre-owned in 2001. Since then no major problems until 2009. I had to replace a crankcase sensor and shifter assembly. Not bad after 8 years or ownership. Great performance, looks and reliability, smooth running and quiet engine. Going to hang on to this car for as long as I can. I change the engine oil twice a year. Had tranny fluid changed at 70K miles, contrary to MB lifetime tranny fluid. Still driving on original brake pads. I've owned many cars over the years and this C280 is the best by far

Stability control, traction control, single windshield wiper, Bose sound system, interior wood trim, handling.

Dust free brake pads.