1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
c 280
By MB MAN on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Overall great car, very fast luxurious to the max, my 280 has 90 thousand miles and still runs like the first day, never has broke down, just regular services.

Good Car
By Bill on 06/07/10 17:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Not looking for MB, but wife convinced me to test one. I was hooked! Drove and handled nicely, quiet, and plenty of power with decent mileage (24-25 mpg). Would have liked better acceleration and responsiveness when I push the peddle down, but still good for a V-6 and relatively heavy car. I have about 150,000 miles on it and it still runs and handles great. I have not put much money into repairs other than basic stuff. Harmonic balancer went bad, but MB fixed it under a recall (no cost to me). Complaints are wiper motor going bad, interior wearing out, LCD display/dash lights going out, and the body is beginning to rust around the wheel wells and sun roof. I would by a MB again!

10 years of happy ownership
By bickar on 01/26/10 16:11 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 5000 miles on it in December of 1999. Over the years, have had to repair various things, and spent a little more to do so than I had on my Hondas, but, not an outrageous amount. And, I cannot tell you the last time I had to do anything other than normal maint. (NOT at a MB dealer - use an independent!) The gas mileage is outstanding - nearly 30 mpg on the highway, 25 around town. Car feels solid still, and the trunk is very large and shaped well - much more usable than our current other car - Jaguar XJ. We use it now for any dirty jobs we have, as it is getting old, yet, the paint job is MUCH better than the Jag we have - seriously MUCH MUCH better.

My C280
By Benzmeister on 12/19/09 17:02 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car certified pre-owned in 2001. Since then no major problems until 2009. I had to replace a crankcase sensor and shifter assembly. Not bad after 8 years or ownership. Great performance, looks and reliability, smooth running and quiet engine. Going to hang on to this car for as long as I can. I change the engine oil twice a year. Had tranny fluid changed at 70K miles, contrary to MB lifetime tranny fluid. Still driving on original brake pads. I've owned many cars over the years and this C280 is the best by far

My First Benz
By MKTurismo on 11/12/09 10:45 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I've owned nothing but domestics up until this point and I more than likely will never go back. This is my first Mercedes, bought it for $5k cash and it was a steal because it has had one owner (middle age woman), and is immaculate. Their's 172k miles on the odo and I've had not a single problem from her. Still rides smooth and quiet and no rattles or squeaks in the interior. Parts are cheaper than most people expect. I just changed front inner and outer bearings and seals on both sides in the front and only spent $60. Doors still slam solid no loose door panels and squeaking hinges like I've experienced from domestics. Has enough power for the daily commute, amazing stability at top speed!

Decent Entry Level Benz
By benxguy on 05/24/09 13:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Bought with 50000 miles and worked fine for 2 years. Needed $1500 schedule B at atbout 75000k but that solved the acceleration problems. Had to fix the crank sensor at 76000k and no one really knew the problem cause. $250 for that one, then the engine light at 80000k was the air sensor- not a big deal but cant get car inspected with an engine light on. Air sensors are $500 from MB but got one from ebay, plopped it in and problems went away. Now at 104k and have had no issues..oh yeah, watch front springs they break at 90k. Replaced those as well. Power seats work when they want to and now fuel gage is not working all the time- problem comes and goes so unknown cause. Get trans fluid chged!

Best Benz Ever!
By The Saint on 03/02/09 04:53 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I love this car so much, I'm on my second one! Both have been white on black leather. First one I drove from +- 150000km right till 249000km. Was hard-pressed for a replacement car when I came across my current one - still in good knick despite being over 10 years old! (mileage 132000km) I have had this one now for a few months and it feels like dejavu! I cannot imagine driving anything else! Even the new ones don't match up to this! one snag - I might have to replace the keys/ignition! That wont be cheap! Besides that, have been a MB fan for years - also own a W123 230 E which I also love to bits! My only worry is the chafing of the steering wheel and gear-lever knob! any ideas?

Expensive to Own
By Bandit109 on 07/08/07 06:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 41000 miles on it and it now has 86000. I have spent $4500 in repairs, and am advised by a reputable local shop that it needs $2500 more, but that does not include the odd windshield wiper motor that threatens to go out periodically or the power seat controls that only work half the time. Not the half at the shop where they commonly intone, "Unless it's not working when we look at it, we can't tell what's wrong with it." Handles well and gets decent mileage. Built-in analog cell phone only works half the time. Next car will be a Honda/Toyota.

Saved My Life
By m2e2r2 on 03/18/07 13:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Distracted and going 70 on a 2-lane road, the front tire hit the gravel shoulder. I was spun around across the road and into the ditch on the other side. I could feel the car working to stabilize itself and my thought at the time was thank goodness I'm in this vehicle. I should not be here today. Despite the severity of the spinout, the car survived without any problem. I was amazed. I got back up on the road (slowly), got to my Interstate onramp, slowly accelerated up to 65 and went on my way! Had it checked at my destination and there was absolutely nothing wrong. Amazing.

Great car, exceptional engine.
By David on 11/28/06 20:06 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and I have had no problems. The best feature about this car is the powerful V6. It makes passing on 2 lane roads quick and easy. The outstanding suspension smooths out potholes yet is taut enough to tear through mountain passes. The interior is businesslike and neat. The seats are comfortable enough to travel for around 2 hours, but cross country trips are quite uncomfortable. The controls are well placed, but the radio is hard to use when moving. The trunk is big enough for luggage for 4, and the back seat holds 2 adults comfortably. The only problem with the car is, with the big engine, it has a tendency to understeer, but this can be fixed by power induced oversteer.