Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

c 280
By MB MAN

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Overall great car, very fast luxurious to the max, my 280 has 90 thousand miles and still runs like the first day, never has broke down, just regular services.

Favorite Features

there's a couple favorite feature, i love the leather, the carbon fiber, the classy look and the performance.

Suggested Improvements

i wish mine had a cd player, only has cassette but very nice Bose sound.

Good Car
By Bill

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Not looking for MB, but wife convinced me to test one. I was hooked! Drove and handled nicely, quiet, and plenty of power with decent mileage (24-25 mpg). Would have liked better acceleration and responsiveness when I push the peddle down, but still good for a V-6 and relatively heavy car. I have about 150,000 miles on it and it still runs and handles great. I have not put much money into repairs other than basic stuff. Harmonic balancer went bad, but MB fixed it under a recall (no cost to me). Complaints are wiper motor going bad, interior wearing out, LCD display/dash lights going out, and the body is beginning to rust around the wheel wells and sun roof. I would by a MB again!

Favorite Features

Handling, nice ride, low road noise, power, and mileage. Stereo is great! Interior styling and layout. Looks great when clean and waxed. Ease of light bulb replacement and simple repairs - MB makes there cars easy to fix - just expensive to do.

Suggested Improvements

Better acceleration and responsiveness when the peddle is pushed down. LCD/lights on dash should last longer than mine did and windshield wiper motor should last longer - simple technology should not fail. Very disappointed in the body rust - would keep car longer if no rust because it runs good.

10 years of happy ownership
By bickar

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 5000 miles on it in December of 1999. Over the years, have had to repair various things, and spent a little more to do so than I had on my Hondas, but, not an outrageous amount. And, I cannot tell you the last time I had to do anything other than normal maint. (NOT at a MB dealer - use an independent!) The gas mileage is outstanding - nearly 30 mpg on the highway, 25 around town. Car feels solid still, and the trunk is very large and shaped well - much more usable than our current other car - Jaguar XJ. We use it now for any dirty jobs we have, as it is getting old, yet, the paint job is MUCH better than the Jag we have - seriously MUCH MUCH better.

Favorite Features

All 4 windows one touch UP and DOWN, and 10 presets for the radio.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders do not hold anything besides a 12 oz can of soda!

My C280
By Benzmeister

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car certified pre-owned in 2001. Since then no major problems until 2009. I had to replace a crankcase sensor and shifter assembly. Not bad after 8 years or ownership. Great performance, looks and reliability, smooth running and quiet engine. Going to hang on to this car for as long as I can. I change the engine oil twice a year. Had tranny fluid changed at 70K miles, contrary to MB lifetime tranny fluid. Still driving on original brake pads. I've owned many cars over the years and this C280 is the best by far

Favorite Features

Stability control, traction control, single windshield wiper, Bose sound system, interior wood trim, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Dust free brake pads.

My First Benz
By MKTurismo

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I've owned nothing but domestics up until this point and I more than likely will never go back. This is my first Mercedes, bought it for $5k cash and it was a steal because it has had one owner (middle age woman), and is immaculate. Their's 172k miles on the odo and I've had not a single problem from her. Still rides smooth and quiet and no rattles or squeaks in the interior. Parts are cheaper than most people expect. I just changed front inner and outer bearings and seals on both sides in the front and only spent $60. Doors still slam solid no loose door panels and squeaking hinges like I've experienced from domestics. Has enough power for the daily commute, amazing stability at top speed!

Favorite Features

Build quality, like a tank its solid and rigid. Interior materials and panels feel solid to the touch and high quality. High quality premium leather, still no cracks or creases. I love the 2.8L V6 (M112), amazing dependability at almost 175k miles now and still smooth.

Suggested Improvements

I had an issue with the power seats working only when they felt like it, but found out its just a common bad relay that needed to be replaced in the trunk. The electronic tranny acts a little slow sometimes when I really want to put the throttle down but its just a C-Class, not a AMG lol.