1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
c 280
By MB MAN on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Overall great car, very fast luxurious to the max, my 280 has 90 thousand miles and still runs like the first day, never has broke down, just regular services.

Going on my 5th MBZ
By Tom on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I just bought a 1999 C230 Sedan Kompressor with less than 69k miles, in great condition internal/external. Apart from a little cricket noise the car is perfect. I've owned a 2001 coupe C230 Kompressor and I prefer the sedan for its solid stance and build quality. I've owned 4 others E, TD, E4matic and very happy with all of them. I regret selling them - think this time will be a keeper.

Great car
By Winnie on 08/05/10 15:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The drive is just as tight at 310,000 miles as it was the day I drove it off the showroom. It is such fun to drive.The handling is very predictable and secure. Whenever I drive a new rental car even with newer "bells and whistles"it pales in comparison. My only regret is that after 11 years I'm going to have to get another car.

Good Car
By Bill on 06/07/10 17:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Not looking for MB, but wife convinced me to test one. I was hooked! Drove and handled nicely, quiet, and plenty of power with decent mileage (24-25 mpg). Would have liked better acceleration and responsiveness when I push the peddle down, but still good for a V-6 and relatively heavy car. I have about 150,000 miles on it and it still runs and handles great. I have not put much money into repairs other than basic stuff. Harmonic balancer went bad, but MB fixed it under a recall (no cost to me). Complaints are wiper motor going bad, interior wearing out, LCD display/dash lights going out, and the body is beginning to rust around the wheel wells and sun roof. I would by a MB again!

Wish I could give this a good rating
By lynnz on 03/18/10 05:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new and I will give it one thing- it is a lot of fun to drive. However, I have invested nearly $8,000 in repairs in the last 4 years.(starter,gas tank,ball joints,ac compressor,suspension breakage, etc,etc). It is always garaged and has had to have a lot of body work because of rust problems. The dashboard looks like a lit Christmas tree! I've taken good care of this car, but just can't wait for another $1500 repair to occur. I will never buy another Mercedes- period. They're too expensive to repair. I've owed 3- Series BMW's that were more reliable.

10 years of happy ownership
By bickar on 01/26/10 16:11 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 5000 miles on it in December of 1999. Over the years, have had to repair various things, and spent a little more to do so than I had on my Hondas, but, not an outrageous amount. And, I cannot tell you the last time I had to do anything other than normal maint. (NOT at a MB dealer - use an independent!) The gas mileage is outstanding - nearly 30 mpg on the highway, 25 around town. Car feels solid still, and the trunk is very large and shaped well - much more usable than our current other car - Jaguar XJ. We use it now for any dirty jobs we have, as it is getting old, yet, the paint job is MUCH better than the Jag we have - seriously MUCH MUCH better.

My C280
By Benzmeister on 12/19/09 17:02 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this car certified pre-owned in 2001. Since then no major problems until 2009. I had to replace a crankcase sensor and shifter assembly. Not bad after 8 years or ownership. Great performance, looks and reliability, smooth running and quiet engine. Going to hang on to this car for as long as I can. I change the engine oil twice a year. Had tranny fluid changed at 70K miles, contrary to MB lifetime tranny fluid. Still driving on original brake pads. I've owned many cars over the years and this C280 is the best by far

My First Benz
By MKTurismo on 11/12/09 10:45 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I've owned nothing but domestics up until this point and I more than likely will never go back. This is my first Mercedes, bought it for $5k cash and it was a steal because it has had one owner (middle age woman), and is immaculate. Their's 172k miles on the odo and I've had not a single problem from her. Still rides smooth and quiet and no rattles or squeaks in the interior. Parts are cheaper than most people expect. I just changed front inner and outer bearings and seals on both sides in the front and only spent $60. Doors still slam solid no loose door panels and squeaking hinges like I've experienced from domestics. Has enough power for the daily commute, amazing stability at top speed!

Great Liitle Benz
By Skipper on 08/10/09 11:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought this year with 74,000 mile on it. Extremely fun to drive, looks new inside & out, runs great. It's a classy, classic design and has rec'd many favorable comments.

Excellent Little Car
By Skipper on 06/24/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought a used 1999 c230 kompressor with 74,000 miles on it. Pre-Purchase inspection revealed it in "Excellent" condition in every aspect. It is fun to drive, quiet, comfortable and looks and drives like a new car. Not a ding or dent, rattle or squeek and relatively low mileage. Original paint and clearcoat looks like new so does the interior. Great car.