$0.10/mile car
By StateStreet on
1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan
I bought this car with 50k miles on it and have driven it for the last 10 years and currently have 270k miles on it. I agree with most of the comments below and aside from replacing a transmission (that in all fairness, I beat on) and replacing wear items (breaks, belts, front end, tires, charcoal canister) the car has been outstanding. My goal is to put 1 million miles on it and the key is finding a good, independent mechanic that knows Mercedes and have him look it over once a year. It's good in the snow with 120 lbs of sand tubes in the trunk and good treads on the tires. I'm in New England and don't even use snow tires with the extra weight.
Favorite Features
The turning radius, as someone mentioned, is outstanding. I can make a U turn on a two lane road. Also, with 40 lbs pressure in the tires, easy acceleration and speed at 65 mph, I routinely get 30-32 mpg combined. I can get 500 miles on one tank of gas.
Suggested Improvements
The Mercedes paint should be easier to find for touch ups, etc. If you're going to have a car that lasts 10+ years, you want to be able to keep it looking sharp. The dings and small rust spots have built up from 271,000 miles of normal driving and I don't want to have to paint the whole car.