Mercedes is likely the worst car company to deal with for a bad vehicle
By marker513 on
1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan
I've owned my C230 for 14 years now, and the only reason I still own it is I couldn't sell it in good conscience with its flaws. The transmission was showing problems since new, but there were so many other problems that were more pressing when it was new (many pages in one visit) that I didn't notice that they left that one off. Then when it started to slip big time at 90K Mercedes refused to repair it. A mechanic at the dealership told me confidentially that it is a known problem. I complained to everyone, including the CEO of the entire company, and at every level in between, to no avail. This is my second that I bought new. Never again. Luckily this was not my only vehicle.
Favorite Features
The vehicle is marvel of design in many respects. If you didn't get a lemon, it would be a nice vehicle. It is capable of around 30 mpg on the highway. It has plenty of room inside for 2 adults and 3 kids, with a large trunk. I had a few of the early 190s, and this vehicle looked like a full-sized vehicle compared to those cars. The ABS system has to be the best there is. In the snow or ice, when you lock up the brakes, it stops straight. While I hate the Mercedes company with a passion for its belligerent customer service policies (not enough room here to discuss my experiences over my 25 years of ownership of various vehicles), Some aspects of its engineering are world class.
Suggested Improvements
The transmission was always a problem. It was not designed to be used in this vehicle. And the cost of a new transmission, even a rebuilt one with a core charge, cost more than the car was worth at 90K miles. The check engine light has been going on for 135K miles since new, and they have refused to fix it from the start. Every car company will manufacture a bad car at some point. What the do to stand behind those cars is what sets them apart. Any time I have ever had to ask a Mercedes factory rep to fix a serious problem, all with cars I purchased new, they made me feel like I was asking for a favor to fix their mistakes.