Still a nice car at 14 years old
By bobaquino on
1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan
This is my first Benz, I bought it not long ago from old lady that passed away so truly it was the "Little old lady that drove it on Sunday" car. It had less than 68 K on it which was extremely low mileage for a 14 year old car, but unfortunately she took very poor care of the car bordering on car abuse. I have been going through it repairing what I can and getting all the service caught up, mostly by doing the work myself. The trick to owning one of these old Benz's is that you don't want to constantly pay somebody else to do the work, (no dealer) you need to be able to fix it yourself. Fortunately, the car is actually quite service friendly, though parts can be expensive.
Favorite Features
It drives very nicely. Very solid ride, super tight turning radius, gas mileage with the 4 has been around 26 for me, calls for premium but been running regular. Good amount of space inside, trunk has lots of room, full size alloy wheel spare. Brakes are 4 wheel disc with ABS for good stopping. Handling with standard original shocks is still good though I will replace them soon enough. Engine access for service is pretty good, lots of room to get in there and work.
Suggested Improvements
4 cyl engine is buzzy. Good power when couple with 5 speed auto, though it will rev higher. Over 60 and it turns around 2500 rpm. Not the quietest ride, good amount of engine and road noise but I understand the Germans don't want you to be too isolated from the road. Front cupholder just okay for standard water bottle, big gulp, fahgettaboudit. They use the engine vacuum for everything, if you have a leak (and they all leak by this age) you have to wait for the pump in the trunk to catch up. So doors/trunk may take seconds to open. Also use an IR based smart key so no long distance unlocking and dont loose it, will cost over 300 bucks to get new one from dealer.