1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Great but why latent design defects?
By JPouchet on 01/05/05 16:14 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

My first Mercedes and it has been a fine car. Our dealer is nothing but first class. I enjoy driving this car so much that I had to buy my wife her own new E 320 (2004) as nothing really compares to driving a MB. Considering the new 2006 ML 350 as a replacement but recent nagging latent design defects and poor support from MB USA are making me look at BMW. The steering wheel leather is falling apart, the headliner has pulled away from the C pillars, and the rear window regulators/motors have gone out several times. And this car is always garged, no one rides in the back, and is treated like a baby. It should hold up much better, like a Honda or Toyota.

has no value
By rob on 12/28/04 11:47 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

The 1998 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sedan requires high test fuel yet has no power to speak of. Its gas milage stinks for such a small car. It is not very comfortable or roomy on the inside. This car would have been an OK choice for a single person. Its resale and trade-in values are terrible. If I would have done appropriate research beforehand and known all of these things I would have NEVER of purchased this car. It is surprisingly bad for one of the alledged higher end vehicles.

one great car
By onegreatcar on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I have driven a lot of cars and SUV's and I have to say this is by far my favorite. Boy does it turn heads. I have two kids and I thought I would never go back to a small car but this one is roomy and sporty enough! Great car for a great price.

one great car
By tollerkoch on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car last week on ebay and drove it from Miami to Santa Fe,NM. Everything you expect from a Benz and more. The ride is luxurious, quiet, and has plenty of power. Speaking of power, the interior is a living room, all leather and power everything. After testdriving about ten NEW cars from GM, VW, Nissan and Chrysler I can honestly say that none of the new ones was a match for this six year old car. I owned a beautiful 92 300CE Coupe, which was a total loss after I got rear ended, but this car has helped me to forget her.

Very solid car
By hagimihale on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Bought this used a few months ago - paid $8500 (vs. NADA book value of $13k) for a white w202. Only repair was new tires and alignment. Car drives like a dream - stable at any speed, great low-end power from the V6 and good acceleration on the highway. This is the 5th MB my family has owned and my 2nd. We've always been impressed with their products and now I remember why.

NA
By Secret on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Nice German Car. Simply GREAT!

1998 C-280
By MDA on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. Well built, reliable and overall solid performer for it's class.

AWESOME VEHICLE
By Zippy1 on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Driving the curvy, windy roads, this vehicle handles like a solid road warrior. It is sporty, has a lot of pep, and has been entirely dependable. I just wish I had conture seats, and a navagational system which is not offered. A CD player within the cabin would also be a nice feature. Guess I'll have to go to a newer one. This car will take you to high speeds before you know it, so watch for that.

You Gotta Have One Of These!!!
By coyoteaz on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

The last 9 months have been great thanks to my C230. Everyone needs to own this affordable, stylish car. Because I am a teacher,everyone takes a double look at me when I cruise into the parking lot. If they only knew, that their vehicle cost more than mine! The quality of the German car is incredible. It's a Mercedes; need I say more?

My Ride - Benz 280c 1998
By Noggi on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

One service call in 4 years which was my fault - left lights on. Nice to drive, looks good, good mileage,zippy enough (its a six) unless you are a racer - Only bad is "check engine" light comes on intermittently (this means only check the air pollution system). Benz mechanics will say usually"tighten gas cap" or forget it etc - doesn`t mean much. This is a very good car - my 5th mercedes and I love them but concerned about coming years since they bought chrysler and are making some big changes in the Benz line.