Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

The best car I've ever had
By Loniese Lee

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I have been so iumpressed with my C280. It's fun to drive, it handles well in the rain and snow because it has the traction control. The seating maybe a little cramped but you still can ride 4 adults in comfort. The trunk space is exceptional for a small car because the backseats fold down to give more room.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the Bose stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room

Safe Car
By BD

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

I owned my 1998 C230 for 4 1/2 years and I loved it. Other than an oxygen sensor, it required no repairs other than routine maintence during the period of time I owned it. Unfortunately while driving, I had an accident at 60mph and rolled the car twice. The car was totaled, but I sustained minor injuries. The state patrol credited the safety of the car, seat belts, and air bags as saving my life.

A luxury sedan that stands up to time
By Rich

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

This entry level Mercedes has stood the test of time. The styling is not outdated, and reflects the classic look of the S-class of the year. The electrical system is a little buggy, but so is the story with a German car. Major repairs include the Tranny being resealed, and replacement of the AC compressor, but overall the car has shown remarkable endurance, especially considering my mother never changed the oil

Favorite Features

The turning radius of the car is unparalleled. You can cut a U turn from one lane to another.

Suggested Improvements

Backseat room is lacking, but if passengers complain- they can take their own cars!

5.5 yrs and going strong
By Curious P

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I've had this vehicle for 5.5 yrs now, and I absolutely love it. It fits me like a glove, looks great, and it's dependable. I've had no mechanical problems to date, but have had all the usuall electronic problems (and sensors). If you're looking into the car, make sure it was well taken care of. Common problems include: A/C, power window switches, sunroof switch, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, and back panel lighting problems. I wouldn't take the car to the dealer to maintain (mucho $$$), since there are a number of indies that can do more than an adequate job.

Very satisfied after 9 years
By Chuck

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

We did purchase a I-Net bumper to bumper warranty for $2000 and that's helped. I'd say we've almost even on that. Very few serious repairs. Did need a cat converter, a/c compressor and a few other minor things. Outside Mercedes warranty work, I'd say we had $1600 of I-Net warranty over 6 years. We take very good care of the car and it only has 82,000 after 9 years

Favorite Features

Good pick-up.You need the 280 motor! Good gas mileage on the highway, 30 MPG, but it is hi test gas. Quality interior has held up very, very well. Factory mats do not hold up though. Car is excellent at high speeds and on highway. Lots of pep.

Suggested Improvements

No much really. It has been a good car for us to date. We will sell it next year - 10 years and the warranty is up. Two negatives are the high cost of changing the oil and the filter. And, you will start to get minor leaks as it ages. Our German mechanic said this is common at 100,000.