Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Best Car I have ever owned in 25 years
By John

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I love this car!!! It has been so reliable I actually can not believe it. I have owned it since new and have never been left at the side of the road. I had a few suspension parts fixed due to pot holes and new tires. Normally only a few hundred $'s every six months for service at MB. Service has been great, but my dealership in Canada is owned by MB. I still have the original exhaust system too, that is something for a salty wintery place. I have planned on replacing it a few times, but I figure why it is paid for and it runs like new. I have owned MB's since I was 16 and this has been the best by far.

Everything you need in a car, handling is great and I love my Sunroof!!!

None, they broke the mould on this car!!

The luxury sedan that withholds.
By Dylan

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 10 years now and it still starts and runs strong everyday. Transmission seems to be going and needs to be looked at. Also I believe my AC compressor needs to be changed. Main vents have suddenly stopped working. I love this car. I've put my heart into it. Also many miles. At 150,000 the car is still perfect for round town and parkway driving. Handles high speeds well and is a great car for any person. Also being a Mercedes it is a classy comfortable luxurious car.

Seats are really comfortable, and love the handling and solid feel of car.

Better transmisions and AC components

Like it but...
By MB Driver

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '98 C230 Oct. 2006. It has 132,300 mi. It is a good running car. I had to have the transmission repaired at 52,000 mi. An electronic signal caused it to misfire, hence, major damage, $$$. No other significant failures. It doesn't have enough pickup initially, however, once it gets to running it is a smooth ride. AC is awesome in the summer and heater is 'right-on' in the winter. Will definitely purchase another MB when this one is retired.

Smooth ride, classic body style, environmental controls and cost! Great vehicle for the money.

Initially slow moving engine could be improved on.

Special
By Veniceknite

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Class is the word for this car. I needed a car for my small business and needed it to be 4 doors, but not too big. Put 15,000 miles on it and only changed oil and replaced tires. Runs like a new car, interior has really held up and steering and power seems like other newer cars I have had. Getting lots of compliments even with its age. It will be my daughter's car next if I ever get rid of it. May buy an electric car for around town and the MB for trips to Vegas. Very solid and worth the price if you can find a clean one.

Beautiful interior and just the feeling of walking out to a paid off car that still reflects good jugement by the owner.

Bose system needs a Bose capable CD player which this car didn't have. Looking on eBay.

Still going... and going.... and going..
By shakermaker

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my Dad with 250,000km on a little over 1 year ago now. It's up to 319,000km (200k in miles) and its still moving just fine. The engine will be the last thing to go I think. The doors are getting a little rusty where the horizontal trim is placed. And I have to replace my brake lights a little more often than I think is necessary but thats it! This car has had 3 problems in its life. Water pump, 02 sensors, and tie rods/ball joints replacement. All pretty much expected after that many miles. Aside from that its been a dream to own and a pleasure to drive. I never worry about this car letting me down, I'm going to drive it until it dies. Which I hope is never

One touch up/down on all four windows and the ability to open and close the windows with the key from outside is really great for a car that's 10 years old.