1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
1998 Mercedes Benz CP600 Coupe
By aistn on 10/06/11 10:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

As a Mercedes Benz owner for over 15 years and BMW owner of the 525 and 700 series, the Benz always coes first!... From E300's to 420SEL and S500's, My favorite... Is the 98 Widebody, not easily found, rare and still ahead of it's time....Take a 98 CP600 V12 coupe for a weekend ride and return with the meaning on life!

A wonderful car for 11 years
By Chuck on 04/11/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

A/C compressor, two engine seals needed replacement....11 years -99,000 miles. It's been a good car to us.

Special
By Veniceknite on 06/23/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Class is the word for this car. I needed a car for my small business and needed it to be 4 doors, but not too big. Put 15,000 miles on it and only changed oil and replaced tires. Runs like a new car, interior has really held up and steering and power seems like other newer cars I have had. Getting lots of compliments even with its age. It will be my daughter's car next if I ever get rid of it. May buy an electric car for around town and the MB for trips to Vegas. Very solid and worth the price if you can find a clean one.

The best car I've ever had
By Loniese Lee on 10/08/07 09:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I have been so iumpressed with my C280. It's fun to drive, it handles well in the rain and snow because it has the traction control. The seating maybe a little cramped but you still can ride 4 adults in comfort. The trunk space is exceptional for a small car because the backseats fold down to give more room.

A luxury sedan that stands up to time
By Rich on 04/05/07 13:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

This entry level Mercedes has stood the test of time. The styling is not outdated, and reflects the classic look of the S-class of the year. The electrical system is a little buggy, but so is the story with a German car. Major repairs include the Tranny being resealed, and replacement of the AC compressor, but overall the car has shown remarkable endurance, especially considering my mother never changed the oil

5.5 yrs and going strong
By Curious P on 03/15/07 09:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I've had this vehicle for 5.5 yrs now, and I absolutely love it. It fits me like a glove, looks great, and it's dependable. I've had no mechanical problems to date, but have had all the usuall electronic problems (and sensors). If you're looking into the car, make sure it was well taken care of. Common problems include: A/C, power window switches, sunroof switch, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, and back panel lighting problems. I wouldn't take the car to the dealer to maintain (mucho $$$), since there are a number of indies that can do more than an adequate job.

Very satisfied after 9 years
By Chuck on 09/05/06 17:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

We did purchase a I-Net bumper to bumper warranty for $2000 and that's helped. I'd say we've almost even on that. Very few serious repairs. Did need a cat converter, a/c compressor and a few other minor things. Outside Mercedes warranty work, I'd say we had $1600 of I-Net warranty over 6 years. We take very good care of the car and it only has 82,000 after 9 years

Great little car
By TN Greg on 05/31/06 14:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new after owning a '94 C280. Now, eight yrs later, everything still works like new, the interior leather looks great, and it still gets 30 mpg on the highway. We have been religious about maintenance and the only repair issue we've faced is when the AC went out at 100,000 miles. Paint has held up very well, also. I'm sure it helps that my wife drives the car and she drives like an 80 yr old granny; but still, after this many yrs and miles, to still not have even one oil leak is, I think, a testament to how well this car was built. I would drive it anywhere w/o hesitation.

Reliable and won't breakdown
By JP on 04/14/06 11:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I've had my C280 since Oct of 1997. It's the 98 model and it's still running like a champ. As much as I want a new car, this one won't break down so I can't justify buying a new one. So that's making me think I want to buy another MB as my new car when it's time. The only thing is it's so boring inside, not too many bells and whistles. Since I got this car when I was barely 20, I was able to spice it up with some clear corner blinkers with 18" AMG monoblocks, but the redesign really needs to take into consideration mg the 20-30 something crowd who loves the 3 series Bimmers. sometimes I feel like an old lady driving this sedan, but honestly this car has always been reliable and a great buy! Safe!

Great car
By K Howard on 03/01/05 18:18 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I just went to a few dealerships considering a replacement for my C280 Sport. I am not going to do it! New cars are nice but nothing I drove in the 18K-20K range even compared to the Benz. Safety, stability, performance, fuel economy, reliability, craftsmanship. This Benz makes the Accord, Maxima, Passat, and others look like second class citizens. She might be getting older but I have decided to not put her out to pasture yet. If you can find a low mileage C280 Sport-BUY IT