1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

1998 C-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Ole Reliable
By dluvly01

Never let me down plan on 1 million miles >

16 years later still a good car
By jurrell

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

we have never had the car in the shop, for major problems, just o2 sensors replaced a few times and a few other maintenance parts, still drives well and has held up well 146k miles or so and you still take it on a 6 or 8 hour trip without worrying about anything bad happening to it

Favorite Features

good car all in all

Suggested Improvements

more standard features

The Car-1998 Mercedes Benz C230
By toros888

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I bought it in Nov 1997 brand new with 4 miles on it.Its now 16 years old in Nov 2013 and accumulated about 85,ooo miles.My verdict:this car is extremely reliable and economical to maintain,during the past 16 years it never turn me down,never brakes down on the road,in parking lot or at home,it starts on time,i follow the car maintenace program every 10,000 miles,the major expenses on this car is my battery last year and replace my 4 tires 3 time during the last 15-16 years and the rest are minor repair or maintenance,annual inspection for sticker thats why i never traded it to any type of car,my 98 Mercedes Benz C230 is my buddy for the last 15 years she is always with me all the time.

Favorite Features

Beautiful External and interior design,W or S button switch(S for normal driving,W for winter or wet driving),Burl walnut wood trim, retractable rear headrest,programmable garage door opener.

Mercedes is likely the worst car company to deal with for a bad vehicle
By marker513

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I've owned my C230 for 14 years now, and the only reason I still own it is I couldn't sell it in good conscience with its flaws. The transmission was showing problems since new, but there were so many other problems that were more pressing when it was new (many pages in one visit) that I didn't notice that they left that one off. Then when it started to slip big time at 90K Mercedes refused to repair it. A mechanic at the dealership told me confidentially that it is a known problem. I complained to everyone, including the CEO of the entire company, and at every level in between, to no avail. This is my second that I bought new. Never again. Luckily this was not my only vehicle.

Favorite Features

The vehicle is marvel of design in many respects. If you didn't get a lemon, it would be a nice vehicle. It is capable of around 30 mpg on the highway. It has plenty of room inside for 2 adults and 3 kids, with a large trunk. I had a few of the early 190s, and this vehicle looked like a full-sized vehicle compared to those cars. The ABS system has to be the best there is. In the snow or ice, when you lock up the brakes, it stops straight. While I hate the Mercedes company with a passion for its belligerent customer service policies (not enough room here to discuss my experiences over my 25 years of ownership of various vehicles), Some aspects of its engineering are world class.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission was always a problem. It was not designed to be used in this vehicle. And the cost of a new transmission, even a rebuilt one with a core charge, cost more than the car was worth at 90K miles. The check engine light has been going on for 135K miles since new, and they have refused to fix it from the start. Every car company will manufacture a bad car at some point. What the do to stand behind those cars is what sets them apart. Any time I have ever had to ask a Mercedes factory rep to fix a serious problem, all with cars I purchased new, they made me feel like I was asking for a favor to fix their mistakes.

Still a nice car at 14 years old
By bobaquino

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

This is my first Benz, I bought it not long ago from old lady that passed away so truly it was the "Little old lady that drove it on Sunday" car. It had less than 68 K on it which was extremely low mileage for a 14 year old car, but unfortunately she took very poor care of the car bordering on car abuse. I have been going through it repairing what I can and getting all the service caught up, mostly by doing the work myself. The trick to owning one of these old Benz's is that you don't want to constantly pay somebody else to do the work, (no dealer) you need to be able to fix it yourself. Fortunately, the car is actually quite service friendly, though parts can be expensive.

Favorite Features

It drives very nicely. Very solid ride, super tight turning radius, gas mileage with the 4 has been around 26 for me, calls for premium but been running regular. Good amount of space inside, trunk has lots of room, full size alloy wheel spare. Brakes are 4 wheel disc with ABS for good stopping. Handling with standard original shocks is still good though I will replace them soon enough. Engine access for service is pretty good, lots of room to get in there and work.

Suggested Improvements

4 cyl engine is buzzy. Good power when couple with 5 speed auto, though it will rev higher. Over 60 and it turns around 2500 rpm. Not the quietest ride, good amount of engine and road noise but I understand the Germans don't want you to be too isolated from the road. Front cupholder just okay for standard water bottle, big gulp, fahgettaboudit. They use the engine vacuum for everything, if you have a leak (and they all leak by this age) you have to wait for the pump in the trunk to catch up. So doors/trunk may take seconds to open. Also use an IR based smart key so no long distance unlocking and dont loose it, will cost over 300 bucks to get new one from dealer.

$0.10/mile car
By StateStreet

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 50k miles on it and have driven it for the last 10 years and currently have 270k miles on it. I agree with most of the comments below and aside from replacing a transmission (that in all fairness, I beat on) and replacing wear items (breaks, belts, front end, tires, charcoal canister) the car has been outstanding. My goal is to put 1 million miles on it and the key is finding a good, independent mechanic that knows Mercedes and have him look it over once a year. It's good in the snow with 120 lbs of sand tubes in the trunk and good treads on the tires. I'm in New England and don't even use snow tires with the extra weight.

Favorite Features

The turning radius, as someone mentioned, is outstanding. I can make a U turn on a two lane road. Also, with 40 lbs pressure in the tires, easy acceleration and speed at 65 mph, I routinely get 30-32 mpg combined. I can get 500 miles on one tank of gas.

Suggested Improvements

The Mercedes paint should be easier to find for touch ups, etc. If you're going to have a car that lasts 10+ years, you want to be able to keep it looking sharp. The dings and small rust spots have built up from 271,000 miles of normal driving and I don't want to have to paint the whole car.

1998 Mercedes C230
By Glo

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

This car has had numerous problems that would not be expected from a car of this class from the time that I purchased it. The windshield wiper motor has gone out 3 times costing $900 to replace. The display screen for the temp control has been going in and out since I've had the car. It was replaced with another one that did the same thing. The dealership's repair shop could not find the problem. The steering wheel is not properly aligned with the car. Problem could not be found once again. There is in a water leak in the trunk that cannot be resolved after numerous trips back to the dealers' service dept. Overall this car has been a big disappointment for the money!

The Best Of It's Kind......!
By Jeremy

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 92,000 miles on it and the next day i drove it from Dallas, TX back home to Memphis, TN and i was amazed that i made the trip of about 460 miles on one tank of gas. The ride was smooth on comfortable all the way. I've had this car for a year now and not a single problem. This car has a sporty look and a luxury feel, what more could i want. When i give my friend a ride they tell my the ride is solid and smooth and i reply "Hey.... it's a Mercedes" My next car is defiantly a Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Seats are super comfortable, excellent climate control, Good handling and very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The gap between the front seats and the center console, i keep dropping things there and it's hard to get them out.

Best Car I have ever owned in 25 years
By John

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I love this car!!! It has been so reliable I actually can not believe it. I have owned it since new and have never been left at the side of the road. I had a few suspension parts fixed due to pot holes and new tires. Normally only a few hundred $'s every six months for service at MB. Service has been great, but my dealership in Canada is owned by MB. I still have the original exhaust system too, that is something for a salty wintery place. I have planned on replacing it a few times, but I figure why it is paid for and it runs like new. I have owned MB's since I was 16 and this has been the best by far.

Favorite Features

Everything you need in a car, handling is great and I love my Sunroof!!!

Suggested Improvements

None, they broke the mould on this car!!

The luxury sedan that withholds.
By Dylan

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 10 years now and it still starts and runs strong everyday. Transmission seems to be going and needs to be looked at. Also I believe my AC compressor needs to be changed. Main vents have suddenly stopped working. I love this car. I've put my heart into it. Also many miles. At 150,000 the car is still perfect for round town and parkway driving. Handles high speeds well and is a great car for any person. Also being a Mercedes it is a classy comfortable luxurious car.

Favorite Features

Seats are really comfortable, and love the handling and solid feel of car.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmisions and AC components