Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Run away from buying a MB
By bill

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

There is no possible reason for anyone to buy a car like this. I have owned many cars in my life and this is probably the most unreliable vehicle I have ever experienced. Known problems are MAF sensor, suspension, electronics, brakes etc, etc. Cheap vinyl seats that are passed off as leather. Any Ford, Honda, Toyota etc. would be a better purchase. If you must have a Mercedes lease a new one and dump it before the problems start.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage on the highway averaged 32-34.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and reliability.

mercedes c230
By noemi

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

in four years had to tow this car twice to the dealer. It represents high brand name and poor quality and the service this dealer provides to clients made me regret dealing with them. I am not proud of owning a Mercedes.

has no value
By rob

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

The 1998 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sedan requires high test fuel yet has no power to speak of. Its gas milage stinks for such a small car. It is not very comfortable or roomy on the inside. This car would have been an OK choice for a single person. Its resale and trade-in values are terrible. If I would have done appropriate research beforehand and known all of these things I would have NEVER of purchased this car. It is surprisingly bad for one of the alledged higher end vehicles.

Favorite Features

The C230 has minimal body roll.

Suggested Improvements

Revamp the entire engine and transmission to get both better power and gas milage. Revamp the interior to give the car more room. Tall people cannot fit in this car unless they are in the front seat.

Mercedes is likely the worst car company to deal with for a bad vehicle
By marker513

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I've owned my C230 for 14 years now, and the only reason I still own it is I couldn't sell it in good conscience with its flaws. The transmission was showing problems since new, but there were so many other problems that were more pressing when it was new (many pages in one visit) that I didn't notice that they left that one off. Then when it started to slip big time at 90K Mercedes refused to repair it. A mechanic at the dealership told me confidentially that it is a known problem. I complained to everyone, including the CEO of the entire company, and at every level in between, to no avail. This is my second that I bought new. Never again. Luckily this was not my only vehicle.

Favorite Features

The vehicle is marvel of design in many respects. If you didn't get a lemon, it would be a nice vehicle. It is capable of around 30 mpg on the highway. It has plenty of room inside for 2 adults and 3 kids, with a large trunk. I had a few of the early 190s, and this vehicle looked like a full-sized vehicle compared to those cars. The ABS system has to be the best there is. In the snow or ice, when you lock up the brakes, it stops straight. While I hate the Mercedes company with a passion for its belligerent customer service policies (not enough room here to discuss my experiences over my 25 years of ownership of various vehicles), Some aspects of its engineering are world class.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission was always a problem. It was not designed to be used in this vehicle. And the cost of a new transmission, even a rebuilt one with a core charge, cost more than the car was worth at 90K miles. The check engine light has been going on for 135K miles since new, and they have refused to fix it from the start. Every car company will manufacture a bad car at some point. What the do to stand behind those cars is what sets them apart. Any time I have ever had to ask a Mercedes factory rep to fix a serious problem, all with cars I purchased new, they made me feel like I was asking for a favor to fix their mistakes.

poor electical sysyem
By c matthis

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Two of the origional tires developed problems early on as the steel belts went out of allignment and the tire manufacturer refused to honor their warranty forcing the purchase of a complete set of new tires. No need to focus on the problems while the car was under warranty as Mercedes handled those well. Afterwards the electronics in the dash went haywire and caused some problems under the hood.Total cost to repair both was almost $1100. When I marveled that the dealership had these unusual parts in stock, I was told that this problem has become very common causing Mercedes to stock their dealerships with these parts for prompt repairs.

Favorite Features

When the car is right it's very pleasant to drive and gets 30 miles per gallon or so on trips.

Suggested Improvements

Don't tarnish the Mercedes name by putting origional tires on the car that are second rate. Extend the warranty. Since I don't trade every few years, I won't buy a Mercedes the next time unless they extend their warranty.