Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

1997 C230
By eclipseproduction

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with just under 15K on the clock and it now has approximately 151K on it. It has been extremely reliable and is my 4th MB in 25 years. I current own a 2003 E430 as well. I perform most repairs myself so dealer labor costs are not usually an issue. Parts are pricey but that is to be expected for Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry fuel economy, timeless styling, quality of construction (10 yrs and still no rattles or squeaks!)

Suggested Improvements

Regular gas would be nice and a slightly lower stance. A more robust Combination Switch (I've replaced it twice) and a different location for the power mirror switch. Heated mirrors.

Comments of my 1997 C230
By sharon

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

This is a vehicle that I truly enjoy driving because of the way it handles and holds the road. You feel as thought you are really in a car of armour when driving it because it is so well built. I have enjoyed it so much that I just recently ordered me a new C Class 2009 and it should be here around the first part of August. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that is in the market for a mid sized car.

Favorite Features

The one thing that I have always looked for in a vehicle is the exterior design. If you cannot get past the outside looks of it there is no need looking inside.

Suggested Improvements

The one thing that I would really like to see changed is around the moulding on the outside trim water seems to stay there for a period of time causing some rust to form. Another thing was the way the seat on the passenger's side had to be let down by cranking a knob on the side which took some time.

Couldn't afford to keep it
By Uncle Dan

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I previously reviewed this car and gave it pretty good ratings. But, I finally had to get rid of it. I only drove about 5000 miles a year, but it was costing a fortune to keep it running. I was spending $1000 a year above and beyond routine maintenance to keep it running. This was a weekend driver and was babied. But I had several major repairs, none related to each other. I had all work done at the dealership which was expensive. Although I loved driving the car and liked it's fit and finish and it's look, I sold it and bought a new Infiniti. I've owned older Mercedes, but based on this experience, my 97 C280 will be my last.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out. Plenty of power. Nice fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, legroom front and rear.

Bang For The Buck
By JMoney

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I have recently bought my '97 mercedes C280 sport, and find it to be an amazing vehicle. I feel that when I drive it everyone is looking at me. I love the style of car inside and out. The car handles very well and has great acceration. The ride and braking is very smooth. The car seems to glide down the street. Though repairs are pricely I haven't run into any problems other than the 40 dollar antenna. I like all the inside accesories and how they are designed and where they are place. The only set- backs this car has is that there is little room in the backseat and is not very good in gas mileage especially at premium gas prices. But hey, it's a Benz!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, drop down back headrests, AMG wheels, V6 engine, Bose sound system, carbon fiber interior and on window edges (sport pkg), leather seats and steering wheel, big trunk space, flip key, and most of all that infamous Mercedes-Benz hood ornament.

Suggested Improvements

Stock CD player, better gas mileage, and better/more cup holders.

Two Thumbs Way Up
By Will

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

8 months ago I purchased my 1997 C280 with 138,000 miles on it and I love this car. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles and have enjoyed every one of them. Everyone who drives it says how fast it is at any speed, and even my wife enjoys driving it. Drives and handles like a dream.

Favorite Features

8 speaker Bose sound system. Those Mercedes brakes. Cup holders. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Small back seat. (but better then the 3 series BMW)