1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Mercedes is not worth the money
By Keith on 04/19/06 18:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I found the car to be three times as expensive to maintain. Brakes, shocks wore out prematurely. Transmission needed rebuilding at 125,000 miles. It was costing me $3,000 a year to keep the car on the road. Dealer service was at best, equal to other dealers.

Baby Benz
By Jake on 02/23/06 22:29 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

This has to be one of the best cars I have ever owned, I bought it in August and have had only a few problems, but it's a 97, have driven this car many places around the country and have never had a problem, 7 hour road trip is nothing in this car. When dealing with maintenance take it to the dealer they know what they are doing and if you tell them your on a budget they will work with you!

Great car
By lprivee on 11/02/05 14:07 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought it used at 41k. Now has 87k. Two problems, needed disk brake pads at 65k and an emission sensor that cost me 865 dollars to have replaced before the car would pass the smog check here in Nevada.

Excellent C230
By williamog on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I've already put over 2000 miles on this car. I love the design and the standard features. I was nearly in an accident just minutes after purchasing the car. I had to take evasive action that I know my other car could not have handled. This is a great handling car!

High Mileage wonder
By Jose Figueroa on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I've owned 3 Mercedes before, the basic 190 models. This but far is a more superior small sedan. it is well crafted German engineering. The suspension is phenominal, even with the high mileage, wind noise is all but extinct. It handles well, and is a pleasure to drive.

Excellent Car
By d_t on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought car at 40K miles from dealer put another 9K and it is an excellent car and I had no issues and mileage is great. Definitely will recommend the car.

'97 C280 Sport - An excellent buy
By SMPIndy on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 45K miles. It was in excellent condition and still runs smooth. I added a 6-disc CD Changer but had to put it in the trunk. Car has handled quite well although maintenance can run high dollars...but then again, if you are buying a MB you need to realize that going into it. The car is fun for both myself and my wife to drive, but I use it for work. When I have more than two people, seating can be cramped in back seat. Other than that, the car runs smooth and sweet.

Great Fats Car
By MB Lover on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Car rides beutiful for a v6 and is releibable. Just perform service as needed and the car will take care of you

Definitely not a performance car...
By anon123 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

But what do you expect from a weak engine in a Benz? Car has been pretty reliable except the transmission failed once. Sturdy construction, got hit by a truck on driver's side and got scratched and dinged, but no real damage.

'97 C280
By Uncle Dan on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 C280 in Aug 99. It had only 13000 miles and now only has 34000. It still looks and smells new. I'm not wild about the color (ruby red), but otherwise, it's still one of the best looking small sedans on the road. Quality of the interior is the same as larger Mercedes. Engine/trans is well suited for the car - plenty of power and smooth running. Only had a couple of minor problems, but routine maintenance at a Mercedes dealership is outrageous. I don't need my own personal service advisor and don't want to pay for one.