Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Safe
By benz

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

Bought to drive for awhile, however the car was in a roll over, I could not even think it was rolled over, by the looks of it after. It was hardly messed up, with just a small crack in the windscreen. A few dents here and there, but in all it looked good for just being rolled over and slamming into a tree. No one was hurt at all in fact all the doors opened just fine. This really is a safe car. One thing I did not like when I had this car was the fact it leaked fuel. When you would put fuel in, I have read in other places on the net this is a problem with this model. I think MB should do a recall. Other than that I was a great car. Had to replace the water pump. Did it myself with a new part.

safety and easy to work on

fix or recall the gas prob.

Good News
By michael

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 163000 at a dealer in Dallas. The car had a small oil leak and transmission leak. I repaired both for under $300.00 and I have enjoyed every minute. It never fails to start and I am getting 24city 34highway. The leather and dash are in excellent condition. Mercedes really knows how to make a car that last. This is a sedan although, with the sunroof and short body with great steering capabilities it feels like a sports car. I would rate the reliability a 10. I would not think twice about driving this car out of state anytime. I is really inexpensive to maintain because it has a 4cyl gasoline engine. You just have to use premium gas, although, the mpg's make it up.

leather seats,sunroof, flip key

tighter suspension

1997 C230
By eclipseproduction

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with just under 15K on the clock and it now has approximately 151K on it. It has been extremely reliable and is my 4th MB in 25 years. I current own a 2003 E430 as well. I perform most repairs myself so dealer labor costs are not usually an issue. Parts are pricey but that is to be expected for Mercedes.

Keyless entry fuel economy, timeless styling, quality of construction (10 yrs and still no rattles or squeaks!)

Regular gas would be nice and a slightly lower stance. A more robust Combination Switch (I've replaced it twice) and a different location for the power mirror switch. Heated mirrors.

Comments of my 1997 C230
By sharon

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

This is a vehicle that I truly enjoy driving because of the way it handles and holds the road. You feel as thought you are really in a car of armour when driving it because it is so well built. I have enjoyed it so much that I just recently ordered me a new C Class 2009 and it should be here around the first part of August. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that is in the market for a mid sized car.

The one thing that I have always looked for in a vehicle is the exterior design. If you cannot get past the outside looks of it there is no need looking inside.

The one thing that I would really like to see changed is around the moulding on the outside trim water seems to stay there for a period of time causing some rust to form. Another thing was the way the seat on the passenger's side had to be let down by cranking a knob on the side which took some time.

9 yrs of ownership
By yjmontreal

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 4dr Sedan

Expensive maintenance. C$500 Air Mass meter. floaty ride (I need sport shocks). Many features that are standard on less expensive car are not standard. (i.e. CD, intermittent wiper, TSC etc). Interior build quality/material is very good. Everything is still tight after 9yrs. Currently experiencing little foul play in suspension (steering wheel is little shaky at speed). Good fuel economy, but requires premium grade (I tried regular and noticed right away that the car didn't like it). Torque available only after 3k rpm. Don't like the single wiper, and wiper blade is expensive to replace. Transmission is very slow to respond. Lack of side airbags

REST (very good in winter). Interior quality/material. Good fuel economy. Close windows/sunroof with remote feature.

Many of the improvements are address in later model years. Black lower side, bumpers. TCS, CD player need to be standard. Expensive parts. Use of regular fuel. Use glass imprinted antenna. Faster tranny response. Needs side air bags. (safety shouldn't be compromised)