1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Great Car +200,000 mileage - Seattle,WA
By kaleo on 08/10/14 16:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Good Reliability but expensive maintenance. Beyond 180,000 mileage expect to pay lots of money maintaining this car. Between 185,000 miles and 200,000 mileage I spent nearly $3,500 in replacement parts such as tie rod assembly, oxygen sensors, Drive shaft flex joint, water pump, radiator, AC compressor, brakes, ball joints and etc.. Very smooth ride and handling.

Love my car, hate the maintenance.
By MattJones on 10/10/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

First off, I love this car. My mom owned it for ~7 years then gave it to me and it looks good, feels great to drive, and has a very luxurious interior with tons of wood trim and ruffled leather. In addition the engine powers the car effortlessly with very little noise until you get to the upper end of the tachometer. I've never broken the wheels loose in a turn like front wheel drive cars do all the time. The gas mileage is reasonable BUT I have had to replace the head gasket ($1000), the antenna doesn't go up and down, I had the AC fixed a few months ago for $500 and it's broken again. Also the camshaft sensor broke and cost $800. Not impressed with the reliability.

Couldn't afford to keep it
By Uncle Dan on 03/21/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I previously reviewed this car and gave it pretty good ratings. But, I finally had to get rid of it. I only drove about 5000 miles a year, but it was costing a fortune to keep it running. I was spending $1000 a year above and beyond routine maintenance to keep it running. This was a weekend driver and was babied. But I had several major repairs, none related to each other. I had all work done at the dealership which was expensive. Although I loved driving the car and liked it's fit and finish and it's look, I sold it and bought a new Infiniti. I've owned older Mercedes, but based on this experience, my 97 C280 will be my last.

Bang For The Buck
By JMoney on 03/28/07 17:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I have recently bought my '97 mercedes C280 sport, and find it to be an amazing vehicle. I feel that when I drive it everyone is looking at me. I love the style of car inside and out. The car handles very well and has great acceration. The ride and braking is very smooth. The car seems to glide down the street. Though repairs are pricely I haven't run into any problems other than the 40 dollar antenna. I like all the inside accesories and how they are designed and where they are place. The only set- backs this car has is that there is little room in the backseat and is not very good in gas mileage especially at premium gas prices. But hey, it's a Benz!

Two Thumbs Way Up
By Will on 11/06/06 08:40 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

8 months ago I purchased my 1997 C280 with 138,000 miles on it and I love this car. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles and have enjoyed every one of them. Everyone who drives it says how fast it is at any speed, and even my wife enjoys driving it. Drives and handles like a dream.

Best C-Class
By Christian on 04/24/06 23:51 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

The 1997 C280 Mercedes-Benz is the best C-Class out there. I drove my friends 2002 C240 and it was horrible. I test drove a 2006 C230 and it was just OK. The C280 is a car that wants and needs to be pushed and driven hard, that's a rare event with some modern cars. But I can't wait to upgrade to a 2006 SLK55 AMG

High Mileage wonder
By Jose Figueroa on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I've owned 3 Mercedes before, the basic 190 models. This but far is a more superior small sedan. it is well crafted German engineering. The suspension is phenominal, even with the high mileage, wind noise is all but extinct. It handles well, and is a pleasure to drive.

'97 C280 Sport - An excellent buy
By SMPIndy on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 45K miles. It was in excellent condition and still runs smooth. I added a 6-disc CD Changer but had to put it in the trunk. Car has handled quite well although maintenance can run high dollars...but then again, if you are buying a MB you need to realize that going into it. The car is fun for both myself and my wife to drive, but I use it for work. When I have more than two people, seating can be cramped in back seat. Other than that, the car runs smooth and sweet.

Great Fats Car
By MB Lover on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Car rides beutiful for a v6 and is releibable. Just perform service as needed and the car will take care of you

'97 C280
By Uncle Dan on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 C280 in Aug 99. It had only 13000 miles and now only has 34000. It still looks and smells new. I'm not wild about the color (ruby red), but otherwise, it's still one of the best looking small sedans on the road. Quality of the interior is the same as larger Mercedes. Engine/trans is well suited for the car - plenty of power and smooth running. Only had a couple of minor problems, but routine maintenance at a Mercedes dealership is outrageous. I don't need my own personal service advisor and don't want to pay for one.