1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Safe
By benz on 04/03/10 17:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought to drive for awhile, however the car was in a roll over, I could not even think it was rolled over, by the looks of it after. It was hardly messed up, with just a small crack in the windscreen. A few dents here and there, but in all it looked good for just being rolled over and slamming into a tree. No one was hurt at all in fact all the doors opened just fine. This really is a safe car. One thing I did not like when I had this car was the fact it leaked fuel. When you would put fuel in, I have read in other places on the net this is a problem with this model. I think MB should do a recall. Other than that I was a great car. Had to replace the water pump. Did it myself with a new part.

Good News
By michael on 07/28/09 04:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 163000 at a dealer in Dallas. The car had a small oil leak and transmission leak. I repaired both for under $300.00 and I have enjoyed every minute. It never fails to start and I am getting 24city 34highway. The leather and dash are in excellent condition. Mercedes really knows how to make a car that last. This is a sedan although, with the sunroof and short body with great steering capabilities it feels like a sports car. I would rate the reliability a 10. I would not think twice about driving this car out of state anytime. I is really inexpensive to maintain because it has a 4cyl gasoline engine. You just have to use premium gas, although, the mpg's make it up.

1997 C230
By eclipseproduction on 12/04/08 07:35 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with just under 15K on the clock and it now has approximately 151K on it. It has been extremely reliable and is my 4th MB in 25 years. I current own a 2003 E430 as well. I perform most repairs myself so dealer labor costs are not usually an issue. Parts are pricey but that is to be expected for Mercedes.

Comments of my 1997 C230
By sharon on 07/10/08 12:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

This is a vehicle that I truly enjoy driving because of the way it handles and holds the road. You feel as thought you are really in a car of armour when driving it because it is so well built. I have enjoyed it so much that I just recently ordered me a new C Class 2009 and it should be here around the first part of August. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that is in the market for a mid sized car.

9 yrs of ownership
By yjmontreal on 08/23/06 15:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Expensive maintenance. C$500 Air Mass meter. floaty ride (I need sport shocks). Many features that are standard on less expensive car are not standard. (i.e. CD, intermittent wiper, TSC etc). Interior build quality/material is very good. Everything is still tight after 9yrs. Currently experiencing little foul play in suspension (steering wheel is little shaky at speed). Good fuel economy, but requires premium grade (I tried regular and noticed right away that the car didn't like it). Torque available only after 3k rpm. Don't like the single wiper, and wiper blade is expensive to replace. Transmission is very slow to respond. Lack of side airbags

Mercedes is not worth the money
By Keith on 04/19/06 18:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I found the car to be three times as expensive to maintain. Brakes, shocks wore out prematurely. Transmission needed rebuilding at 125,000 miles. It was costing me $3,000 a year to keep the car on the road. Dealer service was at best, equal to other dealers.

Baby Benz
By Jake on 02/23/06 22:29 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

This has to be one of the best cars I have ever owned, I bought it in August and have had only a few problems, but it's a 97, have driven this car many places around the country and have never had a problem, 7 hour road trip is nothing in this car. When dealing with maintenance take it to the dealer they know what they are doing and if you tell them your on a budget they will work with you!

Great car
By lprivee on 11/02/05 14:07 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought it used at 41k. Now has 87k. Two problems, needed disk brake pads at 65k and an emission sensor that cost me 865 dollars to have replaced before the car would pass the smog check here in Nevada.

Excellent C230
By williamog on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I've already put over 2000 miles on this car. I love the design and the standard features. I was nearly in an accident just minutes after purchasing the car. I had to take evasive action that I know my other car could not have handled. This is a great handling car!

Excellent Car
By d_t on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought car at 40K miles from dealer put another 9K and it is an excellent car and I had no issues and mileage is great. Definitely will recommend the car.