1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Great Car +200,000 mileage - Seattle,WA
By kaleo on 08/10/14 16:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Good Reliability but expensive maintenance. Beyond 180,000 mileage expect to pay lots of money maintaining this car. Between 185,000 miles and 200,000 mileage I spent nearly $3,500 in replacement parts such as tie rod assembly, oxygen sensors, Drive shaft flex joint, water pump, radiator, AC compressor, brakes, ball joints and etc.. Very smooth ride and handling.

Safe
By benz on 04/03/10 17:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought to drive for awhile, however the car was in a roll over, I could not even think it was rolled over, by the looks of it after. It was hardly messed up, with just a small crack in the windscreen. A few dents here and there, but in all it looked good for just being rolled over and slamming into a tree. No one was hurt at all in fact all the doors opened just fine. This really is a safe car. One thing I did not like when I had this car was the fact it leaked fuel. When you would put fuel in, I have read in other places on the net this is a problem with this model. I think MB should do a recall. Other than that I was a great car. Had to replace the water pump. Did it myself with a new part.

Love my car, hate the maintenance.
By MattJones on 10/10/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

First off, I love this car. My mom owned it for ~7 years then gave it to me and it looks good, feels great to drive, and has a very luxurious interior with tons of wood trim and ruffled leather. In addition the engine powers the car effortlessly with very little noise until you get to the upper end of the tachometer. I've never broken the wheels loose in a turn like front wheel drive cars do all the time. The gas mileage is reasonable BUT I have had to replace the head gasket ($1000), the antenna doesn't go up and down, I had the AC fixed a few months ago for $500 and it's broken again. Also the camshaft sensor broke and cost $800. Not impressed with the reliability.

Good News
By michael on 07/28/09 04:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 163000 at a dealer in Dallas. The car had a small oil leak and transmission leak. I repaired both for under $300.00 and I have enjoyed every minute. It never fails to start and I am getting 24city 34highway. The leather and dash are in excellent condition. Mercedes really knows how to make a car that last. This is a sedan although, with the sunroof and short body with great steering capabilities it feels like a sports car. I would rate the reliability a 10. I would not think twice about driving this car out of state anytime. I is really inexpensive to maintain because it has a 4cyl gasoline engine. You just have to use premium gas, although, the mpg's make it up.

1997 C230
By eclipseproduction on 12/04/08 07:35 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with just under 15K on the clock and it now has approximately 151K on it. It has been extremely reliable and is my 4th MB in 25 years. I current own a 2003 E430 as well. I perform most repairs myself so dealer labor costs are not usually an issue. Parts are pricey but that is to be expected for Mercedes.

Comments of my 1997 C230
By sharon on 07/10/08 12:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

This is a vehicle that I truly enjoy driving because of the way it handles and holds the road. You feel as thought you are really in a car of armour when driving it because it is so well built. I have enjoyed it so much that I just recently ordered me a new C Class 2009 and it should be here around the first part of August. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that is in the market for a mid sized car.

Couldn't afford to keep it
By Uncle Dan on 03/21/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I previously reviewed this car and gave it pretty good ratings. But, I finally had to get rid of it. I only drove about 5000 miles a year, but it was costing a fortune to keep it running. I was spending $1000 a year above and beyond routine maintenance to keep it running. This was a weekend driver and was babied. But I had several major repairs, none related to each other. I had all work done at the dealership which was expensive. Although I loved driving the car and liked it's fit and finish and it's look, I sold it and bought a new Infiniti. I've owned older Mercedes, but based on this experience, my 97 C280 will be my last.

Bang For The Buck
By JMoney on 03/28/07 17:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I have recently bought my '97 mercedes C280 sport, and find it to be an amazing vehicle. I feel that when I drive it everyone is looking at me. I love the style of car inside and out. The car handles very well and has great acceration. The ride and braking is very smooth. The car seems to glide down the street. Though repairs are pricely I haven't run into any problems other than the 40 dollar antenna. I like all the inside accesories and how they are designed and where they are place. The only set- backs this car has is that there is little room in the backseat and is not very good in gas mileage especially at premium gas prices. But hey, it's a Benz!

Two Thumbs Way Up
By Will on 11/06/06 08:40 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

8 months ago I purchased my 1997 C280 with 138,000 miles on it and I love this car. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles and have enjoyed every one of them. Everyone who drives it says how fast it is at any speed, and even my wife enjoys driving it. Drives and handles like a dream.

9 yrs of ownership
By yjmontreal on 08/23/06 15:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Expensive maintenance. C$500 Air Mass meter. floaty ride (I need sport shocks). Many features that are standard on less expensive car are not standard. (i.e. CD, intermittent wiper, TSC etc). Interior build quality/material is very good. Everything is still tight after 9yrs. Currently experiencing little foul play in suspension (steering wheel is little shaky at speed). Good fuel economy, but requires premium grade (I tried regular and noticed right away that the car didn't like it). Torque available only after 3k rpm. Don't like the single wiper, and wiper blade is expensive to replace. Transmission is very slow to respond. Lack of side airbags