Used 1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great Car
By j_nickens

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. Picked it up at a used car auction. I'm 19 and I was getting looks driving a Benz even though it was a 96. Handled well. Leg room was a issue in the back. Small trunk. Also my electronics went psycho when it was cold. My windshield wiper wouldnt work sometimes. Very scary.

Electronic Seats and climate control

More leg room and bigger trunk space

2000 Mercedes C280 Sport
By ealtieri

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Purchased the 2000 model because the Exterior design is exceptional plus always wanted a Mercedes. I purchased a one owner vehicle from Florida with over 100,000 miles, crazy right?! However the car looks no more than four years old and I have no concern that it is going to break down. If you do the standard A/B service and take care of the car you should have no trouble.

The Mercedes logo at the front of the hood! Leather seats are OK, certainly love the adjustments.

How about cup holders? I love a cup of coffee in the AM drive to work, could not believe it when I couldn't find it.

Mercedes-Benz c280 Sport
By Travis Leffew

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Had little to no problems with this car. It has 136,000 miles on it and everything works as it should. The only thing is where the inside lights and the moonroof button is, there appears to be a speaker (perhaps for the phone) and it has a light "buzz" sound. Other than that this is an awesome car. I have a 97' Mustang and after driving the Mustang, after I had been driving the Benz .. Let's say I'll stick with the Benz. Only negative feedback is I've tried to get an aftermarkets sound system and rims, and it just seems more difficult and costly with this car. I prolly will never have another Benz (Mustang lover at heart) but def a great deal! And I get asked if it;s a 2000+ yr all the time!

Leather. Sport 'Carbon Fiber' rather than wood grain. 6CD disc changer. Big trunk. Moonroof. 30MPG high way (nevermind the epa estimates). And the best thing of all; I love being able to smoke some of my fellow Mustang enthusiasts!

The Buzz noise.

Not too shabby
By LaciMB

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 11 years old and I can say I got a pretty good car for how old it was. It dirves like a dream, and has had no major engine trouble. It did fail to start one really cold day, but other than that has been really reliable. One problem I did encounter was the electrical sensor for the emergency break would not acknowledge that it was disengaged, and the dash alert would beep constantly. Anything with a motor worked very well--windows, seats, mirrors, etc. I had to do no major upkeep to it other than belts and oil changes. I loved the power too! For an 11 year old car, it could still smoke some tough guys at the green lights

How tight it turned! On a dime! Beautiful on the insdie. I loved the heated leather seats.

For being an 11 year old car there is nothing much to suggest other than, of course, making MB vehicles less exclusive to maintain.

Good car! C280 sport
By JOHN MOORE

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Having owned this vehicle for a couple of years I am still impressed by the build quality and the smoothness of the drive. I am constantly told that the W202 series is of a superior build quality then the newer mercedes - my friend owns a newer Mercerdes and has been back to the dealer 5 times in 6 months so there might be some truth in this! I was worried about horror stories regarding the wiring loom cracking or the wiper motor failing (800 for a wiper motor is extortionate!) but the only problem I have had was a wrongly diagnosed air flow sensor which transpired to be a loose wire on the spark plug coil! It drives like new dspite 125,000 miles. Only negative is rear legroom is limited.

None this car is superb!