1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Economical car, but weak horsepower
By Michael L on 05/03/10 23:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

This car has been very reliable and never had it towed to the shop as of yet now that it has 168,000 miles. This glossy black car looks very classy and luxurious at all levels. It drives well when the speedometer is over 60 MPH+ on the freeway, but from the get go it is slow because of the car is heavy and the engine is a sohc inline-4 with 148 horsepower. My cost of repairs on this car has been reasonable because the C220 had less features. Now the car is 14 years old and there are some wear and tear items that need to be addressed, but as long as it drivable and safe it should be no problems.

not the best built mercedes
By C200 esprit auto on 03/20/10 17:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

Would i buy another c class merc the answer would be no i would not, for the simple reason that this car just seems to go on and on with never ending faults.As for the body work thats no better than a rusting ford escort from the 1980s. Its a shame because i still enjoy the look of this car and still for some mad reason still like driving it,even when things do keep costing me more money each month and each year. The problem with most of these merc c class models seems to be all the same,with very bad electrical problems like wiper arm gives up working hazard warning switch gives up headrest button stops working, blower fan stops working,along with warning lights flashing at high speeds.

Will not wear out
By Darby on 01/14/10 14:43 PM (PST)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

This car will not wear out, took 95,000 miles to wear out battery, over 100,000 on second set of brake pads. Original trans, exhaust system. Org leather seats. Still looks good, just buzzes along , about 28 mpg on the road.

It Saved My Life
By Chelsea P. on 01/10/10 08:57 AM (PST)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I got in a bad accident just a few days ago while in my 96 Mercedes c220. I was at a gas station waiting to turn left. While I was waiting to pull out a semi came by that had tractor rims. One came loose, because of an insecured load and also the driver didn't notice the suv in front of him get ready to turn right into the gas station. 7rims bolted together that weighed 1,000 lbs each struck the driverside of my car and caved it in. The rim weighed at least 7,000 lbs (not including the momentum added) that not only crushed my side of the car but also pushed it and lifted it a good 20 ft. I have no idea how I made it out of there but I thank god that I did. It saved me

It's a Benz
By aavoice on 11/27/09 08:41 AM (PST)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 75000 on it and have had to spend some money on it over the last two years. I had it repainted but it was due to a poor repair job the previous owner had done for a minor bump to the rear. Major expenses have been to rebuild the transmission, replace the wiper assembly and replaced the headliner. My mechanic recommended a transmission shop that did a good job for $1400, the wiper assembly was replaced with a used unit and after a year is starting to act up and the headliner was expensive with quotes of up to $500. The struts are getting weak so expect to have to part with some more cash soon. I look at it this say; I could spend it on car payments or..Hey, it's a Benz.

Constant headache
By Calin on 09/08/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I would never buy this car again. Every year you are dumping another thousand at least into this car. My best year so far is about 3 thousand. Sensors go bad, accelerator portion is bad, center console wiring harness. And finally a cylinder crack. I have all the maintenance papers since I've owned it and the previous owner had all the paperwork too.

An excellent economic german luxury car
By Doug S. on 05/21/08 21:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 C220 in April of 2005 with 121,000 miles, for $4,600 as my first car. Within in the first year I spent a few thousand in repairs for things like air conditioning, suspension, emissions electronics, but it never has left me stranded or not started right up. The car now has 152,000 miles and drives like a dream. I love the car great gas mileage, 30 mpg highway and mid 20's around town even considering i floor it nearly every time i drive it. The 4 cylinder is a little slow off the line, but is surprisingly peppy at highway speeds. Even though the car is now more than 12 years old, in black with tinted windows it still looks amazing, and gets second looks all the time.

Disappointment
By Disapointment on 04/17/08 07:14 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I purchased my c220 12/01 with 42,000 miles. the trouble started at around 80,000 miles. busted head gasket, transmission slipping, cruise control failed, fuel gauge failed, power antenna failed, constant brake light lamp replacement, interior dome light assembly replaced, windshield wipers work when car is near high voltage power lines & when using the turn signals, I cannot turn them off, have had to remove the fuse to stop this embarrising act.

drive
By Jacqueline parks on 09/28/06 20:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I felt I had to spend too much money on the C 220. I had always wanted a Mercedes and I decided to try this one. I kept it this long because I kept thinking it would last a few more years.I guess I expected more out of the car than what it really was worth. I had bought Toyotas in the past.I still like the body style and design but wished it would have been more durable.It drove good on the highway. The seats were not as comfortable as I would have like them. Maybe I should have tried the 320 but I can't afford the 320. Oh well I enjoyed it while it last now I am going to buy a car that hopefully is more durable.

Went for looks
By itchy on 03/27/05 15:04 PM (PST)

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

As in most of the other reviews, just about every light has burned out. Some have been replaced many times. It's kind of exciting if the car can go between oil changes without some other issue needing to be addressed. The fear of an expensive repair always looms. We bought this car because of the classic look. We still like the look, but drive our Hondas when we truly have to be someplace.