Used 1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Time To Retire Her 214,000 Later
By C220 FAN

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car 10 years ago from my sister who purchased it new. Thought our journey this car has been nothing but reliable and comfortable to drive. That is, until this last year. Here's the list of issues:
1. A/C has a small crack and therefore no A/C during a SUPER warm summer
2. Front driver and passenger windows won't go up or down (had all wiring redone and still nothing)
3. Interior lights stay on and won't go off (had to pull all the bulbs)
4. Key Fobs stopped working
5. Car dies after starting it when I put it in reverse but restarts fine and still drives fine.
There's a handful more issues but I LOVE this car. Yes, it's expensive to repair but I think it's been worth it!

Perfectly Good Cheap Car
By Valo Grant

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

The 96 c class I am currently driving has been sold on to me from my folks and so, thanks to their good treatment of the car, I have had almost no problems what so ever. Granted, the few times it goes, it does a number. Nothing more than a few hundred dollars, easy maintenance and in the right hands, will keep running after 20 odd years of australian road trips. I am still quite fond of the looks as it is understated yet elegant. Even though it isn't the quickest off the line, it still gives a modest punch of power for its age and still loves the highways. With a good set of tyres, it can hold it's own in the corners too. So for a cheap car, its a lot of fun and good value if you pick right.

It is understated, smooth to drive and minimum hassle. It's just a fun car to drive and, if looked after well, will run forever lol. I think mine is over 240 atm yet is still as smooth as ever after only suffering one moderate problem in the last 5 or so years I have had it. Not a bad way to spend a few grand, if you ask me. Better than a golf set :P

If it had all the features of the new S class and then some lol... if only.

Great Car
By j_nickens

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. Picked it up at a used car auction. I'm 19 and I was getting looks driving a Benz even though it was a 96. Handled well. Leg room was a issue in the back. Small trunk. Also my electronics went psycho when it was cold. My windshield wiper wouldnt work sometimes. Very scary.

Electronic Seats and climate control

More leg room and bigger trunk space

2000 Mercedes C280 Sport
By ealtieri

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Purchased the 2000 model because the Exterior design is exceptional plus always wanted a Mercedes. I purchased a one owner vehicle from Florida with over 100,000 miles, crazy right?! However the car looks no more than four years old and I have no concern that it is going to break down. If you do the standard A/B service and take care of the car you should have no trouble.

The Mercedes logo at the front of the hood! Leather seats are OK, certainly love the adjustments.

How about cup holders? I love a cup of coffee in the AM drive to work, could not believe it when I couldn't find it.

Economical car, but weak horsepower
By Michael L

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

This car has been very reliable and never had it towed to the shop as of yet now that it has 168,000 miles. This glossy black car looks very classy and luxurious at all levels. It drives well when the speedometer is over 60 MPH+ on the freeway, but from the get go it is slow because of the car is heavy and the engine is a sohc inline-4 with 148 horsepower. My cost of repairs on this car has been reasonable because the C220 had less features. Now the car is 14 years old and there are some wear and tear items that need to be addressed, but as long as it drivable and safe it should be no problems.

The bose radio, power seats, and moonroof.

The rear seating space can improve because it is crammed for large passengers to go in and out of the car. The moonroof headliner shade has foamed and should be improved and also some of the plastic switches and parts are broken of old age.