Used 1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

BE AWARE mercedes is a disappointment. big mistake.
By caliii

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my uncle in 2008-2009 I didnt drive it much until about April of 2011. I loved it, dont get me wrong its a cute car. But horrible horrible mechanical issues. First off is the wiring harness..i wasnt aware of the problem when i bought it. It affects the performance. 2 weeks ago the car was uncontrollably shaking&losing power i took it to the mechanic he tightened a few things& it worked. The week after the shaking happens again and it stopped with me on the freeway, causing a huge safety concern. Dont but it unless you plan on spending more fixing the car than what you bought it for. The car has been to the mechanic more times than i have driven it.

Favorite Features

interior, seats, design, smooth drive, good size, comfortable,

Suggested Improvements

wiring harness, loses cylinder when it speeds up, better engine and transmission

Are you kidding me! A C280 the best? YES!
By benzluv

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I have been a banker and owned an auto dealership over the past 22 years. Two years ago I bought a 95 after getting into an accident in another car and totaling a BMW 535. This C280 was just supposed to be a car to fill in until the insurance company settled with me. Well it is 2 years later and the insurance check for $19,000 went to pay for my son's tuition. The C280 has only had a set of new H rated tires placed on it. Without equivocation this car has been the single best automotive deal I have ever made! I have had almost every car in the book and with the exception of A new Porsche, this has been a combination of a better looking, faster, better deal car and I get 27 mpg hwy.

Favorite Features

Loaded with everything you need. I am 6'6 and have more than enough leg room but God Bless you if you sit behind me.

Suggested Improvements

More back leg room. A high end sport model.

Never missed a beat
By benzluv

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I was actually looking for a much newer model but at the price this one came along at I could not pass it up. Since then I have changed the brake pads for $150 (the rotors were replaced before I bought it)...It stops like a race car! The car is a quick running piece. It will fly if you keep your foot in the gas! However, the speed is not all the car is about. It drives really well. It actually rides better than 95% of most new American cars. That is the great secret here. This car still has the look of prestige, the performance of a moderately priced sports car (I got mine up to 140 mph on I-95 and still probably had 1,500 rpms left) all at a used Hyundai price!

Favorite Features

The whole car-The looks-The speed-The Handling-The cheap cost of car care-- -BUT BE CAREFUL HERE FOLKS (that is, please be smart here folks and do not be foolish and take your $2,500 to a retail dealership that will charges 1/2 of the price of the car to do a total brake job) BEST OF ALL IS 26 MPG (mixed)

Suggested Improvements

Blower motors give occasional issues and the other common theme is the stereo amp (the first year they used a separate amp) seems to like to give problems.

Bought in the states, picked up in Germany
By Joe

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

A fantastic machine. Got it new 1995. Over 70k miles. Not a spot of rust. Checked 2x a year. One a/c problem early on. Repaired and no problem since. Wiper motor replaced early on, no problem since. Everything still original, muffler, shocks etc. Bought a bulb kit with the car and have never changed a bulb in 15 years. Unbelievable. It is my wife's car. I have a 2005 e500 but love driving the 280. Fold down rear seats (1st year for that), cd player in the trunk, mechanically adjustable steering wheel (just in and out no up or down, leather interior, sun roof. Drove it all over Europe for over 6 months 100+mph. Dropped off for shipment to states and dealer and we got it 2 weeks later. The best one I've owned.

Favorite Features

Reliability, endurance, turning radius, ESP system, roominess, full size spare tire and full aluminum rim, engine smoothness, great stereo system for the time, ease of cruise control operation, good positioning and movement of the electric seats, flawless performance. A joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

In dash CD.Non-mechanical radio antenna.Seat position memory. Now however the new C class have all of those and more amenities. I tried to buy my wife a new one but she would not hear of it. She loves the car and after 50 years together, me too.The 280 too might last the 50 years ha ha.

150,000 and just like new
By Certified car nut

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a perfectionist and it is like new. I am a retired master tech and minor repair issues to me may seem major to anyone who has to pay for the repairs. This is a sport edition that runs like an AMG, I took it out late one night and at 150 mph decided to back out. I took my hands off of the wheel and it was as if I was at 25 mph. I hit the brakes hard and the antilock worked great down to stop. The handling is spot on. In twenty years it is still a Mercedes, in the same class as a Vett, Porsche, etc. Interior is like new. No rattles squeaks etc. if you ride in it and close your eyes and you will know that you are in a new merc. I would buy an other in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Original paint is still like new. Performs like my Porsche but does not attract unwanted attention from vandals. No wind noise. Everything is still like new @ 150,000 mi. The quality is apparent throughout. I won't buy a new one until this one wears out. The sport suspension is a real plus.

Suggested Improvements

Have dealership parts dept read the service bulletins in regards to key replacement. They will tell you that you can't have a second person pick up a replacement, when the official Benz policy states otherwise. I had to drive 260 miles to order a new key, then another 260 mi. to get it.