1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
BE AWARE mercedes is a disappointment. big mistake.
By caliii on 11/18/11 22:34 PM (PST)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my uncle in 2008-2009 I didnt drive it much until about April of 2011. I loved it, dont get me wrong its a cute car. But horrible horrible mechanical issues. First off is the wiring harness..i wasnt aware of the problem when i bought it. It affects the performance. 2 weeks ago the car was uncontrollably shaking&losing power i took it to the mechanic he tightened a few things& it worked. The week after the shaking happens again and it stopped with me on the freeway, causing a huge safety concern. Dont but it unless you plan on spending more fixing the car than what you bought it for. The car has been to the mechanic more times than i have driven it.

Are you kidding me! A C280 the best? YES!
By benzluv on 05/23/11 00:09 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I have been a banker and owned an auto dealership over the past 22 years. Two years ago I bought a 95 after getting into an accident in another car and totaling a BMW 535. This C280 was just supposed to be a car to fill in until the insurance company settled with me. Well it is 2 years later and the insurance check for $19,000 went to pay for my son's tuition. The C280 has only had a set of new H rated tires placed on it. Without equivocation this car has been the single best automotive deal I have ever made! I have had almost every car in the book and with the exception of A new Porsche, this has been a combination of a better looking, faster, better deal car and I get 27 mpg hwy.

Never missed a beat
By benzluv on 01/09/11 02:35 AM (PST)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I was actually looking for a much newer model but at the price this one came along at I could not pass it up. Since then I have changed the brake pads for $150 (the rotors were replaced before I bought it)...It stops like a race car! The car is a quick running piece. It will fly if you keep your foot in the gas! However, the speed is not all the car is about. It drives really well. It actually rides better than 95% of most new American cars. That is the great secret here. This car still has the look of prestige, the performance of a moderately priced sports car (I got mine up to 140 mph on I-95 and still probably had 1,500 rpms left) all at a used Hyundai price!

Bought in the states, picked up in Germany
By Joe on 06/07/10 19:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

A fantastic machine. Got it new 1995. Over 70k miles. Not a spot of rust. Checked 2x a year. One a/c problem early on. Repaired and no problem since. Wiper motor replaced early on, no problem since. Everything still original, muffler, shocks etc. Bought a bulb kit with the car and have never changed a bulb in 15 years. Unbelievable. It is my wife's car. I have a 2005 e500 but love driving the 280. Fold down rear seats (1st year for that), cd player in the trunk, mechanically adjustable steering wheel (just in and out no up or down, leather interior, sun roof. Drove it all over Europe for over 6 months 100+mph. Dropped off for shipment to states and dealer and we got it 2 weeks later. The best one I've owned.

Everlasting
By Bob Summers on 04/06/10 21:52 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I am the first owner of my 1995 C220 which I purchased new in 1995. It looks as good today, 15 years later as it did new. I have 258,000 miles on the car with 1 water pump replacement, 1 fuel pump replacement, 1 battery and a wire harness (expensive). Everything else is original. It runs like a champ, no rattles, quiet, great cruising car. I have driven it cross country and weekly between Washington DC and Raleigh-Durham N. Carolina. Gas mileage is great. Good engine pep, plenty of power on freeways with passing reserve. I cruise 70 - 75 mph. Interior still looks almost new, exterior paint is great. Engine light does come on and front end needs new shocks. Everything works on it

Love My C-class
By Deborah on 04/05/10 10:44 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 4dr Sedan

I would highly recommend this car to anyone. I'm the 2nd owner & have had it for almost 8 yrs. It is incredibly reliable, dependable. The only expenses have basically been maintenance. AND my around town gas mileage is consistently 22-24 mpg. I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat!

150,000 and just like new
By Certified car nut on 09/25/09 23:54 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a perfectionist and it is like new. I am a retired master tech and minor repair issues to me may seem major to anyone who has to pay for the repairs. This is a sport edition that runs like an AMG, I took it out late one night and at 150 mph decided to back out. I took my hands off of the wheel and it was as if I was at 25 mph. I hit the brakes hard and the antilock worked great down to stop. The handling is spot on. In twenty years it is still a Mercedes, in the same class as a Vett, Porsche, etc. Interior is like new. No rattles squeaks etc. if you ride in it and close your eyes and you will know that you are in a new merc. I would buy an other in a heartbeat.

Good used vehicle
By Chuck Luettgerodt on 03/19/09 00:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought my C280 from a client of mine. It had 168,000 miles on it, and a blown head gasket. I paid $2,500 for it, and put another $2,500 in it repairing the head with new valves & springs, and a new ($700) main engine harness as it was cracked due to age & heat. The car had been very well cared for, and was always serviced at the dealer by the previous owner. I replaced the original cassette deck with a MBZ slip-in CD player, ($300), and replaced some of the wood panels on the console, ($260). I take it on vacation, and generally get 24-26 MPG at 70-75 MPH. I have put 13,000 miles on it since I acquired it. It's a good solid car. Best thing though, is that my wife absolutely loves it.

Lasting Luxury
By Kathy Ostrom on 02/04/09 20:22 PM (PST)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I purchased this C280 in Dec 2007 - had 91k- had it inspected and told in pristime condition- great acceleration- it still gets looks on the road- stereo and cd changer work great- drawback- if you are going to own a mercedes benz be prepared for expensive repairs- i had multiple things go out- keep in mind the items that went out were normal for its age- needed new tie rods and shocks, new power steering unit $973 , new rear rotors and pads, new coolant resevior and radiator hoses and 4 new tires. My mechanic had to get some parts from the dealership- very expensive- 4k for everything... will be along time before anything else goes- still love this expensive driving machine!

'95 C280, tough to rate
By gee from jersey on 05/03/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Simply put, when the car is 100%, it's great. I bought it used with 112,000 mi., and I have only put 3000 on it in 6 mo. Because it goes to the mechanic every month. Constant misfires, w. Shield wiper motor broke, leak in interior, speedometer sticks, speakers popped, undercarriage smokes after lengthy trips, and now the transmission is failing. Not to mention all repairs are costly. I previously owned a 320, and was very impressed. This car handles well and has zip, as well as good fuel economy. Major problem is the engine wiring harness (1000$ to fix). Aesthetically pleasing. Small, but comfortable. If I do buy another Benz, it won't be a C class.