1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

1994 C-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

19 In My Benz-O
By DHiGGz

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C220 4dr Sedan

As-Is 152,000 miles with a 1 year warranty $6,000 is how I got it. With a smooth ride, shockingly quiet engine, turns on a dime. Paid $100 deductible for $1500 worth of work on drive shaft and trans mount.. Unfortunately gaskets and seals weren't covered and there is a head gasket leaking oil everywhere. And reportedly oil in the coolant system so it's undergoing $4300 worth of work raising the cost of owning it well over 10,300 with other services done. Also came with corroded stock rims which were leaking air. I plan to throw some nicer rims on it when it comes out of surgery though. If you can afford it... have fun.

Favorite Features

Mercedes feel. Handsome look. Trunk space. Leather. Smoothness of ride. Quietness of engine. Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously some of the expensive and important gaskets and seals of this car wear out over the years. Wished it was with more durable materials. But hey, what can you say. Wood material around the shifter cracks with age.

A solid, reliable & comfortable car
By Bob

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C220 4dr Sedan

It's fair to say that it will not give go-cart like feedback, but the RWD layout and wide wheel base will provide composed handling. The car effortlessly eats motorway miles, but it is fair to say that it is underpowered on acceleration. The build quality & reliability (aside from the pitifully bad mono-wiper unit)is however second to none. Every door has a reassuring clunk, every switch a factory new click and it's obvious this car was designed to be over-engineered. It always starts, never breaks down, and even the paint work hasn't faded. Surprisingly parts are relatively easy and cheap to source (not that you will ever need to), and are extremely simple to maintain and fix. A solid car!

Favorite Features

The excellent build standard and the sense of quality that you get are beyond comparison when any other similar range car. Was it actually made in a factory or chiseled from granite? It is simple to fix, easy & surprisingly cheap to maintain, and it incredibly comfortable on long journeys.

Suggested Improvements

The comedic and pathetic attempts of the part masquerading as a windscreen wiper are monumentally bad. When it works, it flaps about like a one armed man trying to juggle soft boiled eggs. Keep the piston lubricated or it will lock up and that means removing the unit for a simple but annoying repair

Horrible car
By George

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C220 4dr Sedan

To call Mercedes a quality automobile is a statement by delusional owner trying to sell it! At 60,000 miles car was on third transmission, second windshield wiper motor unit, computer, air mass sensor, engine bay wire harness. At the end air con. Quit and during a rain storm the wiper failed again, resulting in loss of visibility and subsequent accident destroying the car. I would never again even consider MB !

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the car.

Disappointing C280
By d8

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

The car is ok but not better than anything else. Certainly not as comfortable or quick as some GM cars I have owned and way below my son's BMW in every respect. And less features too.

Favorite Features

Solid little car, looks OK. Not many problems, but any are big.

Killed by a Deer
By A Reliable Friend

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I had no intentions of giving up my sweet 94 C280 with 141,000 miles but a deer did me in last week. This car was well-made, a classic never-get-old design and a great performer for 14 years. Except for the check engine light that has been on for the last 110,000 miles, I had no issues with it. I'm now looking at the new C class with the hopes of finding one that will give me the same excellent support as my '94 did. It never once hesitated to start or give me the power I needed.

Favorite Features

Safety, visibility, classic look.

Suggested Improvements

The check-engine light was a problem that MBUSA couldn't get their hands around.

My First benz
By Scott

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

140,000... when you close the door its closes like a bank vault, solid..The ride superb. 20 miles in the city 30 on the freeway. No leaks or sqeeks. Motor clean. Everything works. Uses no oil. I wanted to try a used one before buying a new one. I will never buy anything but a Mercedes again. The Car is like anything else. You need to take care of it. Mine has asked for little.

Favorite Features

The solid ride, the antilock brakes saved me from rear ending in traffic. The simple controls. The high quality interior that has held up and is still like new today. It a head turner make you feel like a million

Suggested Improvements

No complaints

C220
By Simon Robinson

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C220 4dr Sedan

I bought this car to use to commute to my job since my '04 Nissan Titan was robbing my wallet. I paid $5K for it and spent $500.00 on some CLK wheels and new tyres. It is totally awesome on fuel economy and rides very nice. I won a changer on Ebay and that's a nice option for sound options and just love it. I am so impressed with M-Benz that I am buying the ML430 as my SUV of choice.

Favorite Features

The single windshield blade was way ahead of its time and sure keeps your vision clear. Love the blue shaded wing mirrors. Lots of truck space, and it's a great posh ride.

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension is a bit spongy and the wood dash by the stick cracks over age. Sunroof gets stuck on occasion, but hey it's 12 years old, I am not complaining.

Great vehicle
By mercedez

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for over ten years with virtually no repairs. It handles wonderful and is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Handling is great.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements.

C280 Good Value
By Wally

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

For a 12 year old car, this an extremely tight and reliable vehicle- doesn't look its age in style either.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet ride, yet plenty of power and a good handler.

Suggested Improvements

The car does transfer a bit too much road feel, but the noise doesn't penetrate the cockpit.

Never want to sell it!
By shrevetoo

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever owned. Best car in its class. Best service I've ever gotten in the automotive industry. Best re-sale value around. Since the new C- Class looks and feels like a freaking Toyota, finding one of these (94-97) in good, serviceable condition is a gift. Interior and exterior have held up (still have original floor mats-new ones suck) beyond my wildest expectations. It is a shame that MB has reduced its new C-Class to the level of a Lexus or an Acura.

Favorite Features

Love everything. I have yet to see a car of its age or class that has held up in either its classic appearance or its reliable engineering. Bought it at five years old with 89,000 miles. Now, at 144,000, I expect to keep it for another 100,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

None. It was perfectly conceived and perfectly delivered. Do not buy this car if you can't afford it. You will spend as much to keep it in great shape as the original sticker price (35K), but it is worth the cost.