Used 2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback

Base 0-cyl. Electric 1-speed Direct Drive - (8 reviews )

Excellent for an early electric car
By RNRabs

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

First off, I bought my B-Class used with 10,500 miles for approx. $22k (after taking into account my state tax credit that applies to used electric cars that haven't been titled in my state) - had I paid full price, I'm sure I would consider the value much less. That said, for an electric car, it's exceeded my expectations. The interior and cargo area are roomier than other similar options and it has the Mercedes look and class. The visibility is amazing with few blind spots though I agree the ventilation could be improved and windows will fog on rainy days unless you continually run the system.

While I was nervous about actual range based on others' reviews and some fast driving by myself when I first acquired the car, I've personally found that if you drive somewhat efficiently you can easily make it 90 miles on a full charge if you include a good chunk of highway miles in the trip - just this weekend I drove 68 miles round trip from Denver up to elevation in a few different locations in the foothills and back and still had more than 40% of my battery left. I was impressed.

No, I won't use this car for long road trips but I knew it wasn't ideal for that going in and couldn't be happier with this car.

6 months with the 2014 B-Class
By anonymous

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Leased the 2014 B-Class in June of 2015 for $260/mo including the 3 yr maint. Fit and finish is very good, on par with MB standard. Car feels solid and the style makes it blends in with most other vehicles on the road. Descent acceleration at stop lights. I got the multimedia and extended range pkg. The command center is nice, however, even a Hyundai can put a touch screen in their vehicle, and this MB cost twice as much and yet only has a fixed display the show limited info.

Ventilation is poor for the back seats. If I have all the vents open in the front, there is very little air flow to the back. On damp days, if I do not have the A/C on, the windshield fogs up very quickly. Heating and cooling control was tucked way down in the center console, you have to take your eyes off the road and search for the button to make changes -- poor design.

The 1-finger seat fold down design is a welcome improvement. So are the blind spot and 'too close' braking warning. The 'drift off lane' warning needs a program rewrite as it often gave false alerts when I make turns.

The most important point of an EV - range. EPA and MB rated this car at 87 miles. I can only get 62-summer and 55-winter out of it. (Yes, warning for hot summer days (using A/C) and cold winter days (using heater), your mileage WILL vary!). This works OK during the week as I only have a 25 mile round trip commute. However, this limits/eliminates the usage for this vehicle for weekend trips (as EV charger are few and far in between in the tri state area). At lease for me, it is uncommon to travel over 30 miles 1-way to visit a friend/relative or my favorite bar/restaurant. The 60 mile range just doesn't cut it.

I try the 110v/12A charger that came with the vehicle when I first got the vehicle - added 20 miles over a 24hr period. and the salesman assures me that I can charge the vehicle within 8 hrs with this level 1 charger, go figure! With a Clipper Creek HC40, this car needs 3.5 hrs to charge to 100%.

The ride is very comfortable and quiet, very quiet. Entertainment system is OK considering the price of the car. Cost per mile is much better than my SUV but just a tag under the 30 mpg Corolla. So the savings will depend on which vehicle are you replacing.

Range, charge time, and available charging stations remains to be the weak points for these EVs (at lease at the time this review was written Jan2016).

A great value, though a bit anomalous for M-B
By Brian Smith

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

These vehicles have commonly been leased/sold at considerable discounts to MSRP in low volume. Compared to the M-B vehicles offered at similar MSRP that we have driven as dealer loaners, such as the C-class and the GLA/GLC, the B-class is better appointed inside for couples or families, and is much less costly to own and operate. This is our first electric vehicle, and our first Mercedes-Benz. We were attracted, in large part, due to its safety, performance, interior room, and the fact that it doesn't have an "electric car" outward appearance. The fact that the B-class is sold in various configurations worldwide, and the Tesla-sourced motor abetted our confidence in selecting the electric drive U.S. version. After 1 year, we are very happy with the B-class and our decision, we are more educated about electric vehicles, and we would repeat the decision similarly, perhaps with the exception of insisting upon the range extender package to ameliorate our sub-freezing use of the vehicle and to better accommodate longer weekend getaway trips. Information risk was higher than average at the time of purchase, but the choice of the B-class over competing electric vehicles (and not in relation to any other M-B product) has proven to be a good selection. Understated value may be the theme here, and I'm glad we were able to spot it. Many of the benefits of the B-class over other electric vehicles are not those that are easily represented in comparison charts, just as many operating benefits of electric vehicles are not easily represented in comparison charts. If M-B revamped this model, or produced another electric vehicle at or below $65,000 MSRP, we'd be in the market. In the meantime, we'll be watching the used market prices as these vehicles come off-lease.

An EV Benz with a Tesla Drive Train, Battery
By Martin Schulter

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

This is a rare and unique Benz that's evolved from the B car originally sold only in Canada (gas).

The fact that Tesla has partnered with Benz to design, develop manufacture the drive train, batter, engine and ship it to Germany so that Benz can assemble it into their vehicle tells you more than anything else. Let's face it Tesla makes the finest EV cars, batteries you can get - not considering price point. That coupled with the fact that Benz offers an incredible lease deal: a $49,500 B literally loaded requires no more than $4,500 down and about $360 a month depending on what else you add to the lease like maintenance, no fault nicks small dents etc. The B is roomy, all Benz from materials, handling, quality to sharp looking looking EV. Remarkably well designed with all new hi-tech command system incorporating the latest apps smart looking fairly large command screen and all the usual Benz options: driver assistant w/lane change warning, 6 months free MBRACE & Serius Satellite, memory seats, etc.
One negative for the 2015 is the limited range: average 85 miles. I understand that the 2016 iOS that to about 115, which is a significant boost allowing more options before charging. The B also needs on board high speed charging. Overall rating A.

Very nice Car. Fantastic deal.
By harleymyk

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Good amount of power, which is especially impressive at lower speeds. Very quiet, velvet smooth, and handles just fine on winding canyon roads. Small on the outside and a breeze to park. Love the luxury appointments and standard technology: rain sensing windshield wiper controls, power memory seats, and even a buzzer that goes off if it thinks you are getting drowsy. Plenty of room in the back seat for at least two adults. With the back seats folded down I can toss my bike in without taking off the front tire

You probably should not buy this car as your only vehicle. The 70-110 mile range works for me because I rarely drive more than 60 miles in a day and we have 2 other cars.

- Great lease! With a sticker price of over $48,000 I am paying a total of $328/mo including tax, license, and pre-paid maintenance (36 mo, 10,000mi/yr) thanks to a federal credit and dealer discount. My drive off ($2305) and first 3 payments will be reimbursed by a California clean air rebate and a Mercedes coupon. - Super smooth and quiet ride. - Fun and easy to drive. - Lots of power when you step on it. - Luxurious interior. - Solid feel with Mercedes quality. - Comfortable power memory seats. Great seat heaters. Rear seats for real full sized adults. - Web app allows you to remotely turn on climate control from your phone or PC. - It's electric! Tesla engine and battery.

- Need ability on car or app to delay or set the charging time. Hopefully coming with software upgrade. - Add DC super charger connection. - Provide keyless entry / push button start. - Allow car to remember the regeneration and eco/sport modes selected last time instead of resetting them to the default each time you turn on the car. - From the other comments, Mercedes needs to make sure its salespeople are communicating the range and electrical requirements of the car. I did my research before buying and there were no surprises for me, other than the great deal. You can do a search for the B-Class EV user group on Facebook and the user forum where there is a lot more information.