Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 560-Class model:

Classic Styling
By automaniac9

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

Driving this car makes you feel like no one can touch you. The car has great power for the day and can handle pretty well too. The fact that mine is black over black just adds to its presence. For being so heavy, its massive 5.6 liter has enough torque to move this beast faster than you could think was possible. The interior is classic Mercedes; wood throughout, nice leather seats with all the electric options, and easy to understand buttons, make it a great place to sit. This being a 1990, it has a more advanced sound system than years prior, and it sounds quite good considering its now 24 years old. The biggest aspect of the car that lets it down, is of course the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

One of the best features is the rear seats reclining and being heated. Its got that classic V8 sound, but this being a S-class, it is muffled.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage is really poor. You'll be lucky to get more than 12 mpg with mixed driving, and having to fill an almost 25 gallon tank with premium can really hurt if you drive this everyday.

Almost Perfect
By Rob

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

This is the 4th SEL I've owned, unfortunately the first three have had tragic deaths, 1 stolen, 1 totaled while parked and 1 caught fire after AC maintenance. I will always go back to these cars, amazing handling for the size, power to spare and has a classic style that will never look old. I've tried to replace this car with other new cars only to be disappointed. Out of the 4 I've spent a total of $20k to purchase and maintain but have driven over 300k miles with never a problem. Here I am 8 years later and still can't believe how amazing these cars are.

Unique driving experience
By ILoveCars

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

When the 560SEL was built, it was the flagship of the Mercedes-Benz lineup. This was before Lexus. MB engineers were given a blank slate (literally) to create the 560SEL. All costs were passed to the buyers, who in 1990 were throwing down about $80k. But that was 1990. What's it like today? I'm a car nut and I love this car. It has character and it gives meaning to the word 'quality'. If you take care of this car as you're supposed to, it can last forever and actually be a good investment (really). If you're in the market for this car, the gas mileage should be no surprise. It's really bad.

Favorite Features

Character, road feel, solidity, passing power, gorgeous and timeless exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Make the new S-class more like the W126 S- classes.

It's still Golden
By Convinced!

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

I've always been one of those people who could never justify paying gobs of money for a MB. My neighbor sold me a 1990Sel with 132000 for $4500 original owner. Sat for two years in her drive way. Best car I have ever owned. Ride, comfort, power, grace and fun.The ride is a myriad of exhilarations. It feels so safe behind the wheel. I'm looking to buy my wife a E420 for our 25 annniverary. Yes it's worth the money. It's that nice!

Favorite Features

Ride, the power that's at your command, and the style. What an attractive profile.

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've spilled at least 4 drinks. Well it's forced me towards bottled water. But I'll suffer gladly.

Unbelievable
By Mercedes Fan

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 560SEL for 5 years now and every time I get in, I still smile. I didn't think there was a car that could be built like this. It feels like it's carved from a solid block of steel. It has 111K miles and there's not a squeak or rattle to be heard. Sure, it gets so-so gas mileage but it makes up for it and more with excellent road manners and quiet comfort that today would cost well over $90k. On the road, it goes where you point it and never complains, no matter what the speed. I just love it.

Favorite Features

New-car acceleration, quiet, solid, raod manners, good looks (even at 15 years old).

Suggested Improvements

They'll never build another like it, not even Mercedes.