1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 560-Class model:
Classic Styling
By automaniac9 on 03/04/14 09:05 AM (PST)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

Driving this car makes you feel like no one can touch you. The car has great power for the day and can handle pretty well too. The fact that mine is black over black just adds to its presence. For being so heavy, its massive 5.6 liter has enough torque to move this beast faster than you could think was possible. The interior is classic Mercedes; wood throughout, nice leather seats with all the electric options, and easy to understand buttons, make it a great place to sit. This being a 1990, it has a more advanced sound system than years prior, and it sounds quite good considering its now 24 years old. The biggest aspect of the car that lets it down, is of course the gas mileage.

Almost Perfect
By Rob on 03/20/10 17:59 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

This is the 4th SEL I've owned, unfortunately the first three have had tragic deaths, 1 stolen, 1 totaled while parked and 1 caught fire after AC maintenance. I will always go back to these cars, amazing handling for the size, power to spare and has a classic style that will never look old. I've tried to replace this car with other new cars only to be disappointed. Out of the 4 I've spent a total of $20k to purchase and maintain but have driven over 300k miles with never a problem. Here I am 8 years later and still can't believe how amazing these cars are.

Unique driving experience
By ILoveCars on 09/14/08 23:35 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

When the 560SEL was built, it was the flagship of the Mercedes-Benz lineup. This was before Lexus. MB engineers were given a blank slate (literally) to create the 560SEL. All costs were passed to the buyers, who in 1990 were throwing down about $80k. But that was 1990. What's it like today? I'm a car nut and I love this car. It has character and it gives meaning to the word 'quality'. If you take care of this car as you're supposed to, it can last forever and actually be a good investment (really). If you're in the market for this car, the gas mileage should be no surprise. It's really bad.

200,000 and going strong
By Long-termer on 01/11/05 10:42 AM (PST)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEC 2dr Coupe

We like strong vehicles, and the 560 SEC is probably the strongest we've ever owned. Heavy duty! Powerful, always reliable, and at 200,000 miles it still runs as smoothly as it did when new. Did I say powerful? I've probaly invested $4,000 in replacing things like a sunroof slide assembly, timing chain, valve guides -- - and have a car that is better than most on the road, at far less total cost. This car was built when Mercedes knew how to build cars that lasted forever.

It's still Golden
By Convinced! on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

I've always been one of those people who could never justify paying gobs of money for a MB. My neighbor sold me a 1990Sel with 132000 for $4500 original owner. Sat for two years in her drive way. Best car I have ever owned. Ride, comfort, power, grace and fun.The ride is a myriad of exhilarations. It feels so safe behind the wheel. I'm looking to buy my wife a E420 for our 25 annniverary. Yes it's worth the money. It's that nice!

Unbelievable
By Mercedes Fan on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 560SEL for 5 years now and every time I get in, I still smile. I didn't think there was a car that could be built like this. It feels like it's carved from a solid block of steel. It has 111K miles and there's not a squeak or rattle to be heard. Sure, it gets so-so gas mileage but it makes up for it and more with excellent road manners and quiet comfort that today would cost well over $90k. On the road, it goes where you point it and never complains, no matter what the speed. I just love it.

560SEC Driving Experience
By Tony Varone on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

Ride is somewhat harsh which is normal with this era of S class MB's Handling enhanced with the addition of AMG 18" Alloy wheels with low profile rubber Door glass doesnt seal correctly when closing doors with windows up unless you push on glass.

WHY DO WE EVEN CONSIDER A BUYING NEW CAR
By PATEL on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

WHY SPEND A LOAD OF $$ ON A NEW TOYOTA/HONDA WHEN U CAN ENJOY A GRAND DADDY OF LUXURY...AND SAFER, AND MORE RELIABLE, AND... ABSOLUTELY ENJOYING & LOVING THE CAR..

Value of used Mercedes Benz
By Free spirit on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is a one owner vehicle and has been maintained on a regular basis. It has been a joy to operate and is in good condition.

My verdict!
By Jatindy on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL 4dr Sedan

A true example of fine quality. I bought mine used knowing it was going to need about $5000 worth of stuff fixed from sitting ,It had low miles on it mid 60's. Since then All I can say she has well over 200,000. ZERO PROBLEMS! Just do the service's and it will never let you down. Plus if your a "do it yourselfer," these things are a breeze to work on. The myth of its a BENZ??? Thats bs. more nuts and bolts but simpler than anything I have ever worked on. But you do need the right tools when it come to certain things. Not that often though. And there are well tricks to certain things that help. Buy the repair manuel on CD from mbusa.