Used 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Most Fun For Your Buck
By Sacha Prins

1992 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SL 2dr Convertible

I recently bought myself a second hand silver-grey '92 500SL Mercedes-Benz as my 'summer vehicle'. I already was a Mercedes fan (reliability) for some years, and since we have a '89 560SL in the family I knew it was a fun vehicle. Well, it sure is! I've been driving it for a couple of months now and I'm very, very impressed with the comfort it provides, especially for a (now) 11-year old car. Being 11 years old I reckon I will have some expenses to keep the car in optimum condition, but in contrast, the price of purchase was one-fifth of the original sticker price.

Favorite Features

The 5 liter - 8 cylinder - 320 HP engine combined with the way the auto-gear-shift is programmed makes for a great ride. I love the 'large displacement' feeling the car provides (in contrast with e.g. Porsche's or Ferrari's nervousness).

Suggested Improvements

I reckon all the things I'd like to see improved have been improved already in the new SL500 model. But for now my '92 model provides everything I could wish for (and afford).

500sl 1992
By ajohnson95

1992 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SL 2dr Convertible

VERY NICE AND FUN TO DRIVE< VERY FAST!! WAY HEAD OF ITS TIME. A+ for sure.

Favorite Features

HEATED SEATS

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Hard to Replace
By Heather1

1992 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SL 2dr Convertible

Owned 95-02. Such a great car, hard to replace. Fun, beauty, sleek ride, great response in maneuverability and speed. Only thing I can really complain about is no cup holders and always spilling my drinks in the car.

Favorite Features

fast response and maneuverability

Suggested Improvements

needs cup holders

The best MB has to offer..
By JEFFP

1992 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SEL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1992 500SEL in 2005 from an older couple who thought they were upgrading to a BMW "7" Series. They really took care of this car. They called me two weeks after obtaining their BMW to see if I would be interested in selling the MB back to them. I politely declined. This car has every option that MB could think of and it drives like a dream. I purchased my car with 75,000 origional miles and drive it going out on the town and on special occasions only. I have put several hundred pampered miles on this car and it is just flauless. I will own this car for at least another ten years or more and probably pass it on to my kids.

Favorite Features

Power, expansive front and back seat, auto shutting trunk and doors.

Suggested Improvements

None, how can you improve on perfection?

Sexy
By Ken

1992 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SEL 4dr Sedan

I've had my 92 500sel for only a couple of weeks, but I love it. The car is sexy, nothing to it. The body design looks good even 15 years later it has a modern look. The interior is way ahead of its time. It has more features then my 2002 Mercedes. It could do a little bit better on gas but it is a dream to drive. Also quite expensive to keep running but well worth the experience

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats and the reclining back seat and the fact that everything is automatic

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a must in a car and also better gas mileage