500SL The nicest Car I've Ever Driven
By DuPre' on
1991 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SL 2dr Convertible
This is without a doubt the best car I've ever owned, and quite the head turner! Fabulous engine with a classic rumble and horsepower to snap your neck! The low end torque is not up to Porsche standards but in a highway run I'd take my Benz! It's got high end power to spare. Passing on the highway is a breeze and only requires a moderate level of nerve. The first thing I did was change the old style rims, mine is a two tone model that was crying for a sportier look and 18" chrome AMG's did the trick. I read a review in another publication that stated that there is typically a wiring harness issue with these and other benz's of this era, that's the only concern I've had and mine has been fine
Favorite Features
I love the engine, the sound says horsepower. The power convertible is an engineering marvel. Everyone comments on its good looks and lines, I couldn't agree more this is just a great looking great performing car.
Suggested Improvements
Headlights get dingy and dull and take away from the good looks of the car. The transmission is good but not on par with a the engine and a real sports car.