1991 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class Consumer Review: 500SL The nicest Car I've Ever

1991 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class Convertible - Consumer Review

500SL The nicest Car I've Ever Driven
By DuPre' on

1991 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SL 2dr Convertible

This is without a doubt the best car I've ever owned, and quite the head turner! Fabulous engine with a classic rumble and horsepower to snap your neck! The low end torque is not up to Porsche standards but in a highway run I'd take my Benz! It's got high end power to spare. Passing on the highway is a breeze and only requires a moderate level of nerve. The first thing I did was change the old style rims, mine is a two tone model that was crying for a sportier look and 18" chrome AMG's did the trick. I read a review in another publication that stated that there is typically a wiring harness issue with these and other benz's of this era, that's the only concern I've had and mine has been fine

I love the engine, the sound says horsepower. The power convertible is an engineering marvel. Everyone comments on its good looks and lines, I couldn't agree more this is just a great looking great performing car.

Headlights get dingy and dull and take away from the good looks of the car. The transmission is good but not on par with a the engine and a real sports car.