1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class - Consumer Reviews

420SEL 4.2L V8 4-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )
Going strong at 270K miles
By 126Fan on 08/19/09 21:12 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 220K miles 5 years ago in excellent condition, and put 50K miles in 4+ years. No problems whatsoever, just regular maintenance and some small stuff. Just turn the key and cruise in style. The car goes at any speed on the highway, climbs any hill easily, maintains the road well on curves. I do not see a limit to how much you can drive the car, if 1) you buy it properly maintained and 2) you have a good mechanic to work on it. I was thinking of selling it at some point but since the new S-classes require so much maintenance I will probably keep it. It is very comfortable on trips for 5 people, there is lots of room in the back. If you live in cold climate buy snow tires.

Love this car
By Golden Girl on 03/27/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

My car is actually the 1986 model but I love it so much it is hard to get rid of it for a new one. My husband bought me it and we have grown old together. I have been looking for a new car for about 10 years now just because this car is old fashioned, but I have never seen another I like as much. Every time I have it cleaned I am so proud when they call my name and I walk out to claim my beautiful gleaming car. It is still admired all the time. My husband says because it is so hard to part with it that we should have it completely overhauled and keep it. So I am considering that. This car has been a very faithful friend, and I don't want it to hear that I may be thinking of selling it...

One of the best
By RayD on 10/24/07 01:17 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

Bought from the original owner. It's the best riding car I have ever driven - feels like it is "planted" to the road at any speed - mileage is very good (usually Shell V Power 22+/gallon)mostly at 70 mph w/ AC or heat - private MB specialist who does routine maintenance and repair keeps trying to buy it for himself and says it will go 500k miles

The best of the best!
By CLIZOMOTTO on 10/18/07 11:04 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

This car has spoiled me to the point that I want drive anything else. The faster you go the better it drives! If you find one in good condition buy it and you will be very happy you did.

Best luxery car ever built
By Big Rob on 07/12/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

I am an automotive dealer and I choose the car I drive. It's unbelevable the quality the Germans engineered in a car over 25 years ago that in my opinon was ahead of its time. Everyone will complain about there being no cup holders but the glide on this thing is like flying on your living room couch. Even the new ones don't glide like the old 420's. The 126 platform is heavy and long. It has a ride all its own. I have had it for 4 months and I own over 40 cars on my lot. I'm keeping this old one for myself.

If you can find a good one, buy it !!
By NJ Todd on 02/09/05 21:14 PM (PST)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

These are the antithesis of barge style USA sedans. All leather, REAL wood interiors. Functional, yet understated luxury. Build quality not seen on newer MB's. Awesome highway performance. Fuel econonmy equal to midsize SUV's. One of the finest sedans ever built. If you can find one that's been maintained and cared for properly, I suggest you buy it. Level of comfort on long trips is unrivaled. These cars were $60K+ when new.

They don;t build them like this anymore
By Todzilla on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used in 1994 and added 90,000 miles in 6 years. The car is solid like a rock, very comfortable, will cruise at 90 mph and you think you are going 55. No problems to report other than brakes. It goes through brakes every 12 to 15K miles. Incredible build quality, with a feeling that you are driving a tank. Instrument layout in dashboard is very functional with one of the most accurate clocks that I have seen. Engine and transmission built like a truck. Transmission has replacable filter. Too bad the newer Mercedes do not have the same reliability.

The Perfect Car
By WheelCleaner on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

Wonderful! Still going strong (and fast!!!) at 12 yrs old.