Proud 3rd Owner
By medcnowl on
1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan
As the 3rd owner, I have been pleased with overall performance and fuel economy of this model. Original engine is doing well, regardless of bad reviews, now has 188K. Ownership of an aging diesel Benz is not for the feint of heart, and I am fortunate to have a foreign car mechanic who knows this baby inside and out. I get OEM parts through an Internet-based supplier in CA (No tax! No shipping!) and hand them over to the Ace Mechanic. I use this as my long-distance driver and have put 25K on it in one year. I met an enthusiastic former 350 SD owner last year who told me to never sell it and never lend it to anyone (people put gas in the tank by mistake). I think he gave good advice.
Favorite Features
Classic Benz look with some updates (antilock brakes and air bags). Solid, safe, excellent handling for size. Biodiesel friendly without major adjustments. Roomy interior. Pleasure to drive
Suggested Improvements
Updated audio system is a must for any driver in the 21st century. Currently using the center stow-away compartment for a cup holder. Doesn't handle the newer AC coolant well, so cooling performance is mediocre.