Used 1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 350-Class model:

Died on the highway
By raoking

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I bought one of these in the spring with a rebuilt head and rebuilt transmission. I really liked the car and own a 300sd, but I could not get it to run as well as I would have liked and I've read a lot about them and took as good a car of it as I could but it threw a rod I think, going highway speed it made a huge smoke cloud I pulled over and tried to stop it but it kept running and revving and then stopped. Basically totaled. Take my warning, I had read bad reviews of the engine but didn't pay attention.

Favorite Features

body style, diesel.

Suggested Improvements

design a good engine.

Amazing car, drives like a dream with a great gas mileage
By srh11293

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

For a 20 year old car, I get 25 mpg and drive a large car in absolute comfort. Great working AC. Diesel starts every time. My car required some initial investment, but after that the maintenance is very very reasonable (actually, cheap!). Floats on the highway, and performs very well in the city. Acceleration is acceptable - better then I expected.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Low maintenance costs. Great design. Excellent quality of the workmanship.

Suggested Improvements

Vacuum locks are weird. AC flow to the back seats could be better. Automatic lights would have been a big plus. Bigger trunk and fold down rear seats would be great as well.

Consider this
By 350SD owner

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

This is a rare car. The steal in the 1991 350 SD is different than all the rest of the lineup that year being lighter gauge but higher strength to make the 350SD lighter and it was. If you have an original engine, it's a time bomb. It will happen, the bent rod issue. I had three bent rods in my "original" engine. Top speed speedometer indicated is 112 MPH with the bent rods and the engine needing a lot of oil all the time. I put a new long block in and turbo with the updated connecting rods and the oil consumption is normal now. Also the top speed is still 112 MPH. I was able to adjust the turbo boost pressure to 1.0 bar and this helped acceleration.

Proud 3rd Owner
By medcnowl

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

As the 3rd owner, I have been pleased with overall performance and fuel economy of this model. Original engine is doing well, regardless of bad reviews, now has 188K. Ownership of an aging diesel Benz is not for the feint of heart, and I am fortunate to have a foreign car mechanic who knows this baby inside and out. I get OEM parts through an Internet-based supplier in CA (No tax! No shipping!) and hand them over to the Ace Mechanic. I use this as my long-distance driver and have put 25K on it in one year. I met an enthusiastic former 350 SD owner last year who told me to never sell it and never lend it to anyone (people put gas in the tank by mistake). I think he gave good advice.

Favorite Features

Classic Benz look with some updates (antilock brakes and air bags). Solid, safe, excellent handling for size. Biodiesel friendly without major adjustments. Roomy interior. Pleasure to drive

Suggested Improvements

Updated audio system is a must for any driver in the 21st century. Currently using the center stow-away compartment for a cup holder. Doesn't handle the newer AC coolant well, so cooling performance is mediocre.

Dont lose your 350SD engine
By Jay

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

My 350SD has been a daily driver for me for 9 years. This is one of the best driving sedans mercedes ever built. The car really handles a curve and is a great touring sedan on the hwy. I like the diesel, it's no dog with the the turbo and I just typically drive a little slower (no tickets). Now this is very inportant if you own this car; The turbo charger on this engine gets its lubrication from the engine oil, the turbo charger operates at such an high RPM that within a very short time "60K to 80K miles of engine operation" the seals in the turbo can go and will start blowing engine oil into the manifold. This will lead to engine loss. If you're losing eng oil replace the turbo immediately.

Favorite Features

Gets great fuel mileage. Big sedan with lots of room for all. Classic Mercedes look. Fun handling car even around town

Suggested Improvements

If your losing a quart of oil every couple of days replace the turbo charger if you want to keep your engine.