Used 1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 350-Class model:

run forest run!!!
By peterfletcher

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

this was my 3rd turbo diesel... i researched it hard and even called my MBZ mechanic about this model before purchase. he neglected to tell me about the head issue common on these models! blew the head gasket on the way back from picking it up. car had only 42K miles on it. cost me many thousand of dollars to repair... needless to say, i sold it shortly there after.

Favorite Features

everything.. looks, drive, etc.. there is nothing like these old S classes with all the windows open, sunroof pulled back and hitting the open highway. i cant think of a more fun car to drive from san diego to palm springs in!

Suggested Improvements

a new engine.. guess it was all covered back then by warranties and recalls but its a lost cause now.

Died on the highway
By raoking

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I bought one of these in the spring with a rebuilt head and rebuilt transmission. I really liked the car and own a 300sd, but I could not get it to run as well as I would have liked and I've read a lot about them and took as good a car of it as I could but it threw a rod I think, going highway speed it made a huge smoke cloud I pulled over and tried to stop it but it kept running and revving and then stopped. Basically totaled. Take my warning, I had read bad reviews of the engine but didn't pay attention.

Favorite Features

body style, diesel.

Suggested Improvements

design a good engine.

Amazing car, drives like a dream with a great gas mileage
By srh11293

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

For a 20 year old car, I get 25 mpg and drive a large car in absolute comfort. Great working AC. Diesel starts every time. My car required some initial investment, but after that the maintenance is very very reasonable (actually, cheap!). Floats on the highway, and performs very well in the city. Acceleration is acceptable - better then I expected.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Low maintenance costs. Great design. Excellent quality of the workmanship.

Suggested Improvements

Vacuum locks are weird. AC flow to the back seats could be better. Automatic lights would have been a big plus. Bigger trunk and fold down rear seats would be great as well.

Consider this
By 350SD owner

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

This is a rare car. The steal in the 1991 350 SD is different than all the rest of the lineup that year being lighter gauge but higher strength to make the 350SD lighter and it was. If you have an original engine, it's a time bomb. It will happen, the bent rod issue. I had three bent rods in my "original" engine. Top speed speedometer indicated is 112 MPH with the bent rods and the engine needing a lot of oil all the time. I put a new long block in and turbo with the updated connecting rods and the oil consumption is normal now. Also the top speed is still 112 MPH. I was able to adjust the turbo boost pressure to 1.0 bar and this helped acceleration.

Wonderful car
By Leeagolf6

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

My father-in-law bought the car new and treated it like his baby. He became ill and gave me the car a few years ago. After 6 months of getting the car acclimated to the road again, I have had zero problems. It starts easily in all weather and is an absolute pleasure to drive. On the highway, it cruises effortlessly. I concur with the cup holder comment. The headlights could also be brighter. However, that being said, I love the car and expect it to last for many, many years.

Favorite Features

Design, comfort, ride, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder; brighter headlights.