1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 350-Class model:
run forest run!!!
By peterfletcher on 07/04/12 09:21 AM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

this was my 3rd turbo diesel... i researched it hard and even called my MBZ mechanic about this model before purchase. he neglected to tell me about the head issue common on these models! blew the head gasket on the way back from picking it up. car had only 42K miles on it. cost me many thousand of dollars to repair... needless to say, i sold it shortly there after.

Died on the highway
By raoking on 12/19/11 11:21 AM (PST)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I bought one of these in the spring with a rebuilt head and rebuilt transmission. I really liked the car and own a 300sd, but I could not get it to run as well as I would have liked and I've read a lot about them and took as good a car of it as I could but it threw a rod I think, going highway speed it made a huge smoke cloud I pulled over and tried to stop it but it kept running and revving and then stopped. Basically totaled. Take my warning, I had read bad reviews of the engine but didn't pay attention.

Amazing car, drives like a dream with a great gas mileage
By srh11293 on 07/31/11 20:01 PM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

For a 20 year old car, I get 25 mpg and drive a large car in absolute comfort. Great working AC. Diesel starts every time. My car required some initial investment, but after that the maintenance is very very reasonable (actually, cheap!). Floats on the highway, and performs very well in the city. Acceleration is acceptable - better then I expected.

Consider this
By 350SD owner on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

This is a rare car. The steal in the 1991 350 SD is different than all the rest of the lineup that year being lighter gauge but higher strength to make the 350SD lighter and it was. If you have an original engine, it's a time bomb. It will happen, the bent rod issue. I had three bent rods in my "original" engine. Top speed speedometer indicated is 112 MPH with the bent rods and the engine needing a lot of oil all the time. I put a new long block in and turbo with the updated connecting rods and the oil consumption is normal now. Also the top speed is still 112 MPH. I was able to adjust the turbo boost pressure to 1.0 bar and this helped acceleration.

Wonderful car
By Leeagolf6 on 04/07/10 14:08 PM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

My father-in-law bought the car new and treated it like his baby. He became ill and gave me the car a few years ago. After 6 months of getting the car acclimated to the road again, I have had zero problems. It starts easily in all weather and is an absolute pleasure to drive. On the highway, it cruises effortlessly. I concur with the cup holder comment. The headlights could also be brighter. However, that being said, I love the car and expect it to last for many, many years.

Unstoppable Force of a car
By Hybris on 08/09/09 18:26 PM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Only had the the car for a year but virtually no problems mechanically speaking. Gets amazing mileage for a brick on wheels (low to mid 30's normally), driving in snow and ice with so much torque in the rear end takes some getting used to but its for your own good. Honestly when they say they don't build them like they used to this is the perfect example.

Proud 3rd Owner
By medcnowl on 04/27/08 10:07 AM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

As the 3rd owner, I have been pleased with overall performance and fuel economy of this model. Original engine is doing well, regardless of bad reviews, now has 188K. Ownership of an aging diesel Benz is not for the feint of heart, and I am fortunate to have a foreign car mechanic who knows this baby inside and out. I get OEM parts through an Internet-based supplier in CA (No tax! No shipping!) and hand them over to the Ace Mechanic. I use this as my long-distance driver and have put 25K on it in one year. I met an enthusiastic former 350 SD owner last year who told me to never sell it and never lend it to anyone (people put gas in the tank by mistake). I think he gave good advice.

Dont lose your 350SD engine
By Jay on 03/30/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

My 350SD has been a daily driver for me for 9 years. This is one of the best driving sedans mercedes ever built. The car really handles a curve and is a great touring sedan on the hwy. I like the diesel, it's no dog with the the turbo and I just typically drive a little slower (no tickets). Now this is very inportant if you own this car; The turbo charger on this engine gets its lubrication from the engine oil, the turbo charger operates at such an high RPM that within a very short time "60K to 80K miles of engine operation" the seals in the turbo can go and will start blowing engine oil into the manifold. This will lead to engine loss. If you're losing eng oil replace the turbo immediately.

Excellent car. Beware the 603 engine
By blondtraveler on 04/10/07 06:42 AM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

The 350SD is a very nice car. I have had several reliability issues including a power steering pump that broke off, and oil cooler failure. The 603 3.5L diesel engine originally had weak connecting rods and was one of the shortest-lived diesel engines that Mercedes has made. Many of them had their engine replaced before 50K miles. With updated connecting rods this is one of the best diesels on the road.

Stay Away!
By taurus on 09/16/06 21:02 PM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I hear a lot of people complaining about this car. Personally I love the thing, it's great on gas, and is very smooth. But, it is also supposedly the worst diesel ever made by Mercedes because of the weaker connecting rods in the engine. Apparently they bend and the car starts to burn oil. I would rev the car up very slowly and watch for plumes of smoke coming out of the exhaust at certain rpm's. If they are there, that would mean that the rods are bent and the engine is going to go real soon. Buyer beware.