1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:
15 Year W124 Owner
By olmectech on 06/08/12 13:01 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

The main problem with these older Mercedes is people who cannot afford to maintain them get them because of the cheap price. These cars can take allot of abuse and you will not see many cars from 80s and 90s still on the road. But everything requires up keep, even new cars.

Best Benz thus far
By nickohio on 02/03/12 05:50 AM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

I've owned 3 Benzes, all bought with some miles on them. Our W124 300E 2.8 is the remaining Benz in our garage and though it has 189k on its clock, it is still the most solid car of anything I've driven or ridden in, new or old. Safety is #1 in my book, as it saved the life of our daughter who was hit in the rear by a car doing 50mph. The Benz was properly repaired. I will always own a Benz. Every year, I put money in it to keep it going, but it soldiers on with class and style and is a blast to drive. Absolutely, it is one of the best Benzes ever made and one of the easiest to maintain. Great mileage, as well, as it still gets 28-30mpg on the i-state at 70mph.

Do Not Keep Beyond Warranty Period
By on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

A 2 car family and wife doesn't drive much so drove about 3k per year. Problems began after warranty expired. Over the years Had to replace Ignition wiring, fuel pump, key lock that required replace steering wheel & air bags, cylinder head, ignition wiring harness. This should not happen to a Mercedes. Maintaining car expensive (is that what they mean by luxury car.Had much fewer problems with my Celica. 2nd car now Infinity.

Excellent over-engineered solid safe car
By whchuang on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

The W124 (google or wikipedia about it) is considered the "last true" Mercedes that had went through a LOT of crash/safety test, VERY solid build. After 17 years, my car still looks like new (both interior and exterior). It's amazing! If you look at YouTube and search for "Fifth Gear's W124 Built Quality" you will truly be amazed! Maintenance can be a bit costly, but if you know of a good mechanic you should be fine. Highly recommended!!

Saved My Life, So I bought another!
By rhipper on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

After 200,000 trouble-free miles, my 300E was totaled in a 50 mph rear-end strike by a Chevy SUV. All four doors still open perfectly despite the car being crushed up to the rear window.As an engineer I understood the strength of this body, so I bought another 1993 300E 3.2 to drive for another 17 years. A wonderful solid car, albeit not flashy, just excellent.

partially good
By robert on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

it feels good driving the car cause it has nice swag.the only problem is that it takes up too much gas and lack some interior features

No better Used Vehicle than MB 330e
By Vrooooom on 07/23/09 05:59 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1993 Mercedes Benz 300E after doing a lot of research on this particular model. The W124 series came out top of the list with all owners for reliability, comfort and believe it it or not, low cost of ownership. Being 45 years old (me not the car) insurance was much less than i expected - a bonus! I have 218,000km's on the clock which appears to be nothing on these vehicles, which are still on the roads with much higher km's - some have over 1 million on them! amazing but true. They are popular in Europe as Taxis. This vehicle pioneered the motoring industry as you now know it. A great used car purchase for anyone looking for quality at reasonable cost. Drive & love

My Winter Car: 1993 MB E300 2.8 Sedan
By hawkeyeui93 on 03/05/08 16:01 PM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

In 09.07 I stored my '06 E320 CDI for winter and bought a '93 E300 2.8 w/135K miles. To date I've driven 6K miles -- the car starts right up even when parked outside in temps at -20F, gets 26-plus MPG in hiway driving, and provides competent performance and handling despite being 15 years old. Chief gripe: The 4-spd. tranny is woefully matched with the engine's ample torque (& needs a 5th gear). Preventative Maint. Recommended: To avoid costly repairs, timely peform all service as recommended by MB without exception!

Comfortable Ride
By Atlanta Driver on 03/02/07 15:04 PM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

The 300e drives beautifully in town or on the interstate. It's extremely solid at speed. Repair costs can be frightfully high, though. In addition to the regularly scheduled maintenance, you should budget at least $1,200/year for ongoing repairs, as replacing even a minor part will easily set you back $500. I would still recommend the vehicle, but not to those who are looking for something maintenance-free.

Overrated
By down the road on 12/23/04 15:33 PM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

Well I have owned my 1993 Mercedes-Benz E300 for 5 years now. I have averaged $2,200 a year in repairs. This has been the most expensive, most unreliable car that I have ever owned. I have a similar year Lexus GS300 and it is no contest. The Lexus averages less then $200 a year in repairs. Guess which car I would buy again. The Mercedes' interior is poorly designed. For example it has no glove box, no cup holder, and the most poorly designed HVAC system. How could this car be approved for production? It also has terrible quality, a poor on board computer. This is my first and last Mercedes-Benz.