Used 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

Best Benz thus far
By nickohio

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

I've owned 3 Benzes, all bought with some miles on them. Our W124 300E 2.8 is the remaining Benz in our garage and though it has 189k on its clock, it is still the most solid car of anything I've driven or ridden in, new or old. Safety is #1 in my book, as it saved the life of our daughter who was hit in the rear by a car doing 50mph. The Benz was properly repaired. I will always own a Benz. Every year, I put money in it to keep it going, but it soldiers on with class and style and is a blast to drive. Absolutely, it is one of the best Benzes ever made and one of the easiest to maintain. Great mileage, as well, as it still gets 28-30mpg on the i-state at 70mph.

Favorite Features

Safety, Style, Mileage, Performance & sound of the DOHC 6 is very nice. Easy to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Wish Mercedes still made this model.

Do Not Keep Beyond Warranty Period
By

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

A 2 car family and wife doesn't drive much so drove about 3k per year. Problems began after warranty expired. Over the years Had to replace Ignition wiring, fuel pump, key lock that required replace steering wheel & air bags, cylinder head, ignition wiring harness. This should not happen to a Mercedes. Maintaining car expensive (is that what they mean by luxury car.Had much fewer problems with my Celica. 2nd car now Infinity.

Favorite Features

Car handles beautifully and comfortable on long rides. Drove twice to Florida from Maryland and did not tire after hours on road

Suggested Improvements

Pay as much attention to producing car as done to design

Excellent over-engineered solid safe car
By whchuang

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

The W124 (google or wikipedia about it) is considered the "last true" Mercedes that had went through a LOT of crash/safety test, VERY solid build. After 17 years, my car still looks like new (both interior and exterior). It's amazing! If you look at YouTube and search for "Fifth Gear's W124 Built Quality" you will truly be amazed! Maintenance can be a bit costly, but if you know of a good mechanic you should be fine. Highly recommended!!

Favorite Features

Solid build, exterior paint quality (feel like last forever), interior (simply luxurious), ride comfort,

Suggested Improvements

a bit better acceleration maybe? better AM/FM factory radio

My Winter Car: 1993 MB E300 2.8 Sedan
By hawkeyeui93

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

In 09.07 I stored my '06 E320 CDI for winter and bought a '93 E300 2.8 w/135K miles. To date I've driven 6K miles -- the car starts right up even when parked outside in temps at -20F, gets 26-plus MPG in hiway driving, and provides competent performance and handling despite being 15 years old. Chief gripe: The 4-spd. tranny is woefully matched with the engine's ample torque (& needs a 5th gear). Preventative Maint. Recommended: To avoid costly repairs, timely peform all service as recommended by MB without exception!

Favorite Features

The simple operation of M-Bs cruise control remaining constant over time; having dual airbags, ABS, and traction control as standard features in 1993!

Suggested Improvements

A 5th gear (for the tranny); stronger power window regulators; better location for the power mirror controller (than by the shifter).

Overrated
By down the road

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.8 4dr Sedan

Well I have owned my 1993 Mercedes-Benz E300 for 5 years now. I have averaged $2,200 a year in repairs. This has been the most expensive, most unreliable car that I have ever owned. I have a similar year Lexus GS300 and it is no contest. The Lexus averages less then $200 a year in repairs. Guess which car I would buy again. The Mercedes' interior is poorly designed. For example it has no glove box, no cup holder, and the most poorly designed HVAC system. How could this car be approved for production? It also has terrible quality, a poor on board computer. This is my first and last Mercedes-Benz.

Favorite Features

The seats.

Suggested Improvements

Why bother, they clearly they do not listen to consumers