Used 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

15 Year W124 Owner
By olmectech

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

The main problem with these older Mercedes is people who cannot afford to maintain them get them because of the cheap price. These cars can take allot of abuse and you will not see many cars from 80s and 90s still on the road. But everything requires up keep, even new cars.

Favorite Features

I have a new BMW that I like, but it's not the same love affair as with my 300e. I drove 2011 E-class before I bought my BMW and still think my 300e is a better car than the new Mercedes E-class. The new E-class is heavy and tiring to drive around town. The smoothness of the transmission and engine is legendary. Even after 18 years, car rides like a dream.

Suggested Improvements

If you can find one that has been well maintained you will be very happy.

Saved My Life, So I bought another!
By rhipper

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

After 200,000 trouble-free miles, my 300E was totaled in a 50 mph rear-end strike by a Chevy SUV. All four doors still open perfectly despite the car being crushed up to the rear window.As an engineer I understood the strength of this body, so I bought another 1993 300E 3.2 to drive for another 17 years. A wonderful solid car, albeit not flashy, just excellent.

Favorite Features

The seats are exceptionally comfortable for long drives, and the car is reliable if you have regular scheduled maintenance.It is exceptionally stable at high freeway speeds and beyond. A real MB sleeper.

Suggested Improvements

None, the car is a driver, not a rolling entertainment center. No cup holders, no frills. I drove mine at 100+mph in AZ all the time. It was stable at those speeds. It'll move 4 people comfortably and still get 25 MPG.

No better Used Vehicle than MB 330e
By Vrooooom

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1993 Mercedes Benz 300E after doing a lot of research on this particular model. The W124 series came out top of the list with all owners for reliability, comfort and believe it it or not, low cost of ownership. Being 45 years old (me not the car) insurance was much less than i expected - a bonus! I have 218,000km's on the clock which appears to be nothing on these vehicles, which are still on the roads with much higher km's - some have over 1 million on them! amazing but true. They are popular in Europe as Taxis. This vehicle pioneered the motoring industry as you now know it. A great used car purchase for anyone looking for quality at reasonable cost. Drive & love

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, safety, style, in fact i love it all - its a head turner too

Suggested Improvements

none

Comfortable Ride
By Atlanta Driver

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

The 300e drives beautifully in town or on the interstate. It's extremely solid at speed. Repair costs can be frightfully high, though. In addition to the regularly scheduled maintenance, you should budget at least $1,200/year for ongoing repairs, as replacing even a minor part will easily set you back $500. I would still recommend the vehicle, but not to those who are looking for something maintenance-free.

Favorite Features

Very solid ride quality. Comfortable seats. Excellent exterior paint. Ageless styling.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo is poor quality. No glovebox. Repair costs can be extreme.

Continuous Engine repairs
By Mark, Dallas

1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

I like driving the car. But... things continually keep breaking in the engine department. I spend about $2,500 per year paying to fix things that broke. E.g., last summer new throttle actuator, $2,000. The repair bills take the fun out of owning this car. I will never buy MBenz again.

Favorite Features

Nice to drive when it drives.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality and reliability.