Used 1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300TE 4MATIC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mercedes-benz 300-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

Mixed bag, but I still like it
By TGryphon

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car to drive. Handles just like a Mercedes ought to: goes right where it is pointed and takes any road surface in stride. Loves bad roads. Bit shy on power, tho, especially at low RPMs and at elevation (I live at 5000 feet). I've had a few problems: 4- Matic transfer case replaced twice, broken front spring, quite a few computer glitches and injector system problems, cruise control failed. Very high quality interior and body. Tires don't wear very well; 30,000 miles max on Michelin Pilots, usually less.

Favorite Features

Handling, fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders (of course) and computer glitches.

Great car
By Walt L.

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

One of the best road cars I have ever driven. Quiet, peppy (for a diesel) and a fun car to drive. Spent 33 hours in one continious trip and still comfortable. If your interested in one, make sure you find one with a factory replaced engine or one with the piston rods replaced with the updated ones.

Favorite Features

Diesel, Quiet, beautiful ride. 30 MPG and 28 gal. tank gives you about 800 mile legs. Nice ride, 12-14 hour trips are a walk around the block

Power & Safety
By BenzLuvr

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have loved my Benz. Yes, the 4-matic is sensitive and requires maintenance and a few repairs, but this car has POWER and you really feel SAFE, which is important when I carry my precious cargo(5 yr old child)! I installed a K & N air filter a few years ago which increased the MPG to AVG. 21-22! Not bad for a car of this size and year... I also hear the 1998 E320 is a great wagon...

Favorite Features

Leather Seats, Cargo Net, Cargo Cover, Adjustable seats, Sunroof, 4-Matic system that kicks in when needed!

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDERS! I believe they have improved the 4-matic system sensitivity and upkeep issues...

300 TE review
By jerseyjeff

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. Solid, safe, well designed. Only thing less than perfect is the MB air conditioning system. It's never quite the right temp... Repair can get extensive and expensive, but are very infrequent. Averages out to be reasonable car to own.

Favorite Features

Great ride both in town and on highway, very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

AC system controls.

Purchasing Hi-milage 300TE4 Mercedes
By steffen

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Vehicle I purchased for $6500 has 144,000 miles on it . Always garaged, almost no visable wear inside or out. I knew mechanical items were needed and now fixed which were 1. brakes($500.), 2. front CV Joints ($500. re-built, after market-non-dealer), 3.general servicing of all fluids and filters. I turned off the 4WD function as new 4matic distribution valve is $2,000. Now a great car for $7,500. total less tax and license. New version of same wagon is $44,000. !

Favorite Features

Hi-mileage luxury car for under $7500. can be a bargain for fixer- uppers, if carefully picked. I purchased factory CD ROM with all service manuals for $125.00 and subscribed to ALLDATA to receive all technical service bulletins to help identify vehicle repairs

Suggested Improvements

I have another Mercedes station wagon, a 1979 300TD with over 500,00 miles on it, which has been incredibly reliable and long-running. No engine or transmission repairs yet, only brakes and usual small repairs.