Used 1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

I think I'm in love...
By mybabysadie

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 300E yesterday and I'm absolutely in love with it. I previously owned a 1996 Ford Windstar minivan I inherited from my dad, and I hated driving. With my 300E, driving is my new favorite activity! I love the ride...so smooth! It has 180,000 miles on it right now and I'm hoping for lots more!

Favorite Features

Moon roof, leather seats, comfortable smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Shifts kind of hard when I first start driving it, but easier as the engine warms up

No Urban Myth
By tommy sav

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300D Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 255k on it. I have driven it for 3 years now and the mileage now sits at 448k. I once read in one of the snooty Mercedes forums that "the legendary half-million mile diesel is largely urban myth." I expect to go well beyond this number. I don`t baby it either. I sometimes go up to 16k miles between oil changes and pour used vegetable oil right in blending it with diesel in summer only of course. This has had zero effect on performance. A German tank!

Favorite Features

33 m.p.g.

A labor of Love
By Mate

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1992 300E used with 120,000 miles. If you can not personally perform major mechanical work on this car, be prepared to pay massive repair bills. Also be prepared to love this car with all your heart. It is a smooth riding, classy, wonderful automobile. You will treat her like a dysfunctional child who grows up and needs all kinds of financial support. Because it's your kid, you'll pay the money because you will fall in love with the car. I have put over $10k restoring the car and it doesn't bother me a bit because nothing drives like it/looks like it/runs like it. You can't kill it but you will spend $$$$$ keeping her going. For me...that's okay....for now.

Favorite Features

Incredibly smooth ride. Tight steering and handling. Quite interior. Excellent curb appeal. She's a classy old princess...to be sure.

Suggested Improvements

Be sure to put Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 205/60R15 on your 15 inch rims. The best tire I've ever driven on this car. The car performs better if she's driven/driven/driven. And don't worry about a few oil drops on the garage floor...it's par for the course.

My daily driver economy car
By bigbux98

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Somehow, I realized that my car collection was more like a guzzler collection except for my 1998 Corvette. I own a new BMW M5, a 1999 GMC Envoy, a 1988 Mercedes 560 SEC, and a 1994 GMC Jimmy, and I soon realized that nothing had good gas mileage in my garage, except for my motorcycle and Corvette. I was going to buy a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla, but I am 6'3" and 260 and needed leg and hip room. I discovered the MB 300SD by sheer accident, but wow, I am getting about 500 miles per tankful in the city and 600 or more on the highway. Not bad for a full size luxury sedan. And throw in all of the forums that help with everything except the most difficult of repairs and you cannot lose.

Favorite Features

Power inside rear view mirror, power seats that even more the bottom cushion separate of the bottom base. Power headrest. Parking indicators on the trunk and door and trunk power closers.

Suggested Improvements

No heated seats for a car that cost this much money? Shame on you MB!

Funtasitic Car
By J.R

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

Runs great, fun to drive. I think the best Benz ever made. It has 145K miles but runs like brand new car. I don't have any problem with it since I bought it from old lady who retired from the Library of Congress.

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Power side mirrors. Nicer radio. Wider low profile tires