1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:
I think I'm in love...
By mybabysadie on 05/05/12 17:39 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 300E yesterday and I'm absolutely in love with it. I previously owned a 1996 Ford Windstar minivan I inherited from my dad, and I hated driving. With my 300E, driving is my new favorite activity! I love the ride...so smooth! It has 180,000 miles on it right now and I'm hoping for lots more!

No Urban Myth
By tommy sav on 06/26/10 13:06 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300D Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 255k on it. I have driven it for 3 years now and the mileage now sits at 448k. I once read in one of the snooty Mercedes forums that "the legendary half-million mile diesel is largely urban myth." I expect to go well beyond this number. I don`t baby it either. I sometimes go up to 16k miles between oil changes and pour used vegetable oil right in blending it with diesel in summer only of course. This has had zero effect on performance. A German tank!

A labor of Love
By Mate on 01/15/10 14:20 PM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1992 300E used with 120,000 miles. If you can not personally perform major mechanical work on this car, be prepared to pay massive repair bills. Also be prepared to love this car with all your heart. It is a smooth riding, classy, wonderful automobile. You will treat her like a dysfunctional child who grows up and needs all kinds of financial support. Because it's your kid, you'll pay the money because you will fall in love with the car. I have put over $10k restoring the car and it doesn't bother me a bit because nothing drives like it/looks like it/runs like it. You can't kill it but you will spend $$$$$ keeping her going. For me...that's okay....for now.

My daily driver economy car
By bigbux98 on 04/25/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Somehow, I realized that my car collection was more like a guzzler collection except for my 1998 Corvette. I own a new BMW M5, a 1999 GMC Envoy, a 1988 Mercedes 560 SEC, and a 1994 GMC Jimmy, and I soon realized that nothing had good gas mileage in my garage, except for my motorcycle and Corvette. I was going to buy a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla, but I am 6'3" and 260 and needed leg and hip room. I discovered the MB 300SD by sheer accident, but wow, I am getting about 500 miles per tankful in the city and 600 or more on the highway. Not bad for a full size luxury sedan. And throw in all of the forums that help with everything except the most difficult of repairs and you cannot lose.

Funtasitic Car
By J.R on 01/12/07 05:46 AM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

Runs great, fun to drive. I think the best Benz ever made. It has 145K miles but runs like brand new car. I don't have any problem with it since I bought it from old lady who retired from the Library of Congress.

300 TE Now a Dinosour
By Sean Craft on 11/07/05 00:28 AM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300TE 4dr Wagon

These wagons have always been among the most handsome cars on the road. For a 1992 model, they were generously equipped and the 92's were the first with standard dual airbags. Compared to newer cars I have owned, the transmission is slow to respond and jerks. The A/C system temp is very hard to modulate, either full on or too low. As these cars age common problems are: Cruise control/power windows/mirrors, central lcoking, valve cover gaskets prone to leaking, rear air suspensions fail eventually, cooling system fails eventually as well. All these repairs are pricy but once fixed, won't happen again for the life of the car. Bargain used but get one that was pampered!

Good looking coupe
By jwgowdy on 03/03/05 23:10 PM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300CE 2dr Coupe

I've always had good experiences with MB's, and so far so good. High mileage car (192k) in perfect shape - some minor electrical issues (to be expected) but overall I love it. Styling is still fresh, and the twin- cam revs freely to 7000rpms making spirited driving a ball. Rear seat is worthless unless you're an infant, but I'm 6'4" and very comfy up front. Pillarless design is *great*.

Beautiful, Efficient Design
By Crit Taylor on 12/27/04 20:04 PM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300TE 4dr Wagon

The 88-92 Mercedes 300 series is a nice meeting point. The design is efficient, elegant and not too complex. The newer models have more stuff that really is not necessary. These years have all that you need for a luxury ride and are still rooted in the old Mercedes tradition of being well overbuilt. The wagon in particular is the best deal because it has the biggest engine, suspension and brakes standard. Also, the long wheelbase gives a big car ride. The 103 engine is turbine like, exremely reliable, and revs nicely for surprising performance. The transmission gives very positive high RPM shifts while remaining very smooth a low speeds. It's also not too big or too small abd u-turns well.

Great Car at 160,000 miles
By Tony Soprano on 11/04/04 12:54 PM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2002 Mercedes-Benz 300E in August 2002. It had 132,000 miles on it already and has 160,000 now in November 2004. I have had to do nothing to this car, but change the oil. I'll wasily have this car for another 100,000 miles. It has been great.. It's my daily driver. It has a smooth ride, great pickup, and comfortable seats. The only thing I did was purchase the 17 in. Mercedes-Benz rims.

Mixed bag, but I still like it
By TGryphon on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car to drive. Handles just like a Mercedes ought to: goes right where it is pointed and takes any road surface in stride. Loves bad roads. Bit shy on power, tho, especially at low RPMs and at elevation (I live at 5000 feet). I've had a few problems: 4- Matic transfer case replaced twice, broken front spring, quite a few computer glitches and injector system problems, cruise control failed. Very high quality interior and body. Tires don't wear very well; 30,000 miles max on Michelin Pilots, usually less.